Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there such a thing as not producing enough milk?

Default Re: Is there such a thing as not producing enough milk?

I'll try and come back later when I don't have two kids climbing on me.

very quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rashelle21 View Post
    Does anyone know if having a breast augmentation limits milk supply in any way?
    It can in some cases, but if you were doing great before you started supplementing I am not sure that would be the case. Article about that here

Getting baby off supplements info here
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    It can in some cases, but if you were doing great before you started supplementing I am not sure that would be the case. Article about that here
    My understanding is that surgeries where the implant is placed under the muscle are less likely to cause difficulties than those where the nipple is severed and reattached.

This website may help: http://bfar.org/index.shtml
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So i talked to the hospital where i delivered and the consultant said if ur supplementing then make sure i pump to make up for it. So i tried feeding my lil one and it was the same thing" pulling and crying" so i made him a bottle and tried pumping and was only able to get a few drops. So can this be something else?

So i talked to the hospital where i delivered and the consultant said if ur supplementing then make sure i pump to make up for it. So i tried feeding my lil one and it was the same thing" pulling and crying" so i made him a bottle and tried pumping and was only able to get a few drops. So can this be something else?
    What sort of pump do you have? Have you ever pumped before? How much supplementing (number of oz) are you doing per day?

The answers to those questions impacts whether or not what you're seeing is a real problem or not. Your LC was right to suggest pumping: if your baby isn't maintaining supply by nursing, you need to remove milk by pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I read the info on breast surgery and yes i did go through nipple which it says can impact supply.

Im having to supplement about 1oz to 1.5 per feeding most of the time.

The Medela Swing

This is my second week of breast feeding and i feel like my milk supply is not what it was last week. Im pumping in between feedings, resting, drinking and eating enough but nothing seems to be helping anymore. The first week i could feel when my breast were full and now they seem completely normal and im finding myself having to supplement with formula a lot more. My son is not getting full after a feeding anymore. What else can i do to boost my milk supply because im not ready to give up nursing yet?????
    That is exactly why I am trying to find help, sorry that i am not much help to you.

I read the info on breast surgery and yes i did go through nipple which it says can impact supply.
    In that case, please contact a professional (preferably an IBCLC) for some hands-on help!

The Medela Swing
    Since you're using a fair amount of formula, I suggest getting hold of a much better pump than the swing. A Medela Pump in Style or a rental hospital-grade pump like the Medela Lactina would be preferable. If you want to judge supply by pumping, or increase supply by pumping, a more powerful double electric pump is what you need.

You can rent a highly-sensitive scale to see exactly how many ounces your baby is drinking from your breast. This is not the same as a baby scale you can buy at BabiesRUS. These scales are very expensive. You weigh the baby before and after a feeding session, and the scale will tell you down to point whatever ounces how much LO drank. You can find one to rent by visiting the Medela website.