Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as not producing enough milk?

Default Is there such a thing as not producing enough milk?

This is my second week of breast feeding and i feel like my milk supply is not what it was last week. Im pumping in between feedings, resting, drinking and eating enough but nothing seems to be helping anymore. The first week i could feel when my breast were full and now they seem completely normal and im finding myself having to supplement with formula a lot more. My son is not getting full after a feeding anymore. What else can i do to boost my milk supply because im not ready to give up nursing yet?????

Default Re: Is there such a thing as not producing enough milk?

Hello! Congratulations on your baby!

Firstly I'm gonna say, No! Don't give up just yet. You've not even got to the great part.To begin with you'll find your breasts will feel full between feeds but that can stop being the case fairly soon. How many wet/dirty nappies/diapers is he putting out in a day? Are you feeding him on demand? It may just be that you need to set yourself up with a few good DVDs, the tv remote, some drinks and snacks, and nurse your LO as much as possible. Even though it seems as if you're completely empty, it's not the case. Your body will keep making milk all the time, but some times it is just very very slow. Like after a feed, for instance. The more you nurse your LO, the more milk your body will make.

I'm sure there will be other ladies replying to your post with some other great advice. Hang in there.

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

I'm not an expert, but think the fact that you don't feel full is normal. After a few weeks, your body understands what is a 'normal' supply for you and levels off. You don't feel as engorged as you did the first week or so. For example, right now DD2 is 1 week old and I'm getting really engorged between feedings however I expect for this to deminish in a few days as my body figures out how much milk it needs to produce based on what baby eats.

However, this doesn't answer why your son isn't full after feeding. Is he pulling off himself or are you stopping him? If he's pulling off himself and acting hungry but won't take your breast, then you are right that he's probably still hungry and nothing is in there. How much do you get when you pump?

How many wet/dirty diapers is he having? That's a way to tell if he's getting enough as well.

You could always check out more info on increasing milk supply and see if one works for you - http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

Hope this helps!

Congratulations on the new baby! Why are you supplementing with formula? Every time you do that, you are telling your body to stop making milk unless you are pumping to make up for that. I would stop the formula completely and nurse, nurse, nurse.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Also...try eating oatmeal and drinking Mother's Milk tea.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Babies are fussy for so many reasons when they are small. It is almost never because they aren't getting enough milk (in fact it is much more frequently because mama has too much milk which comes out too fast for them to be able to deal with (Oversupply, known as OS and over active let down, aka OALD). Small babies will always take a bottle even if they are filled to overflowing because if they don't suck on the bottle they will drown as milk comes out no matter what they do, so that is not a good gage of a baby's hunger. The best gage is output (number of wet and dirty diapers) because if it isn't going in it isn't coming out if you know what I mean. When my baby wasn't getting enough I got a lot of dirty diapers but very few wet ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    Congratulations on the new baby! Why are you supplementing with formula? Every time you do that, you are telling your body to stop making milk unless you are pumping to make up for that. I would stop the formula completely and nurse, nurse, nurse.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*trafty024 View Post
    However, this doesn't answer why your son isn't full after feeding. Is he pulling off himself or are you stopping him? If he's pulling off himself and acting hungry but won't take your breast, then you are right that he's probably still hungry and nothing is in there. How much do you get when you pump?
    Could also just mean he needs a good burp
    My DD was difficult to burp. But she would get gassy and pull off the breast and act angry. As though she wanted more and wasn't getting it. Turned out she wanted more and was getting it - but it irritated her because it was on top of a gas bubble!

Your baby is so much more efficient at stimulating your breasts than the pump. So if baby is having enough wet diapers and is gaining weight then don't worry about pumping after feeds. Just nurse nurse nurse. leave your baby on there as long as he likes. Get a few movies and good books. And put your feet up mama! Formula will have a detrimental effect on your supply. Your body doesn't receive any stimulation (or less if you're pumping at that time) when you give the baby formula so it won't Know it needs to make that much more.

To answer your question. In very very rare cases it is possible to not produce enough milk. But most of the time, baby will stimulate what he needs. Try not to stress about it!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Also if you feel like your baby is wanting to eat most of the day, that is totally normal. babies' tummies are so tiny and breastmilk is digested so quickly. The start of 2 feedings can be an hour apart and if it takes the baby 45 mins to eat, you only get 15 mins of time with baby off the breast. It doesn't mean your baby isn't getting enough, it just means your baby is totally normal. As the baby gets a bit older, the baby will become more efficient and may not need to nurse quite as often.
    When my son was first born, I would set up my laptop on a tv tray, with a jug of water, snacks and the remote nearby and I would spend most of my day on the couch.
    Just know having baby on your breast keeps your milk supply up. Just watch for wet diapers as all others have said. You must trust your body and believe that it can nourish your baby. You knew your body was able to grow the baby while it was inside you. Your body can continue to do the same thing even though the baby is in the outside world.
    Married 9/17/2005
    Mother to Seamus born 3/9/2010 7lbs 9oz Still nursing with no end in sight!
    I love , , cloth diapers! with #2! Due 4/5/2012. for a Vbac!

When you give your LO a bottle, it can make you start to shorten your feeding times when breastfeeding - which means she wont get enough - this could be what it is?? She is so young and will eat all the time and will take a long time to eat. My LO used to take about an hour to eat and ate 8-10x/day (which meant she was always on my boob for the first 3-4 weeks) - now at 5.5 weeks, she takes about 25-40 mins depending on the time of day. Your LO is also so young that she is probably falling asleep a lot during feedings making you think she is done when she may not be. Try and wake her when you are feeding her and keep letting her eat until she either comes off content or really falls asleep for sure. Nursing her constantly like this will also get your milk supply up if its down.

Hope this helps - keep up the great job you are doing!
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Thank you ladies!

I started supplimentiong because the doctor want my lil guy to gain more weight and also put him on special formula to get rid of his jondis. Prior to supplimenting my feedings were going great! So I tried a lot of the things you ladies suggested and stopped the bottle yesterday cold turkey but he is doing nothing but crying and pulling away. When I put him on the breast he'll suck for a lil bit then cry and pull away so i keep trying over and over but still the same results.

Does anyone know if having a breast augmentation limits milk supply in any way?

Its hard seeing him screaming and i dont know what else do anymore