Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BF in public

Unhappy BF in public

My DD is 4 months old now and I have been BF since day one thankfully incident free. But I feel like a prisoner in my home, we don't go anywhere that will take more than 2 hours round trip because I am afraid she will get hungry. I feel very uncomfortable BF in public and I am not very good at it either . I am starting to feel trapped and am questioning my commitment, please if anyone can offer any suggestions or tips I would be most appreciative.

Addison 7/27/2010 7.5 lb 21.75 in

Default Re: BF in public

Practice nursing in front of a mirror. That way you can see it the way others will see it. Breastfeeding is beautiful and natural. I understand that you don't want to nurse in public. It's because women don't do it enough. You have the opportunity to be one of the women that makes nursing more common and acceptable. One mother and child at at time, that's how the perceptions are changed.

I nurse in the car a lot. I think it is easier sometimes.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I felt the same way... I was in so much fear. Having a sling helped a lot because it mostly covered her and I didn't have to worry about it falling off. I also started DOING it that is how I became more comfortable because I realized that most of the time people don't even know that you are breastfeeding!

And now that I feel more comfortable doing it I want people to see so they know its NORMAL and so other moms like you may think "hey I can do that too!"
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I nurse in the car a lot. I think it is easier sometimes.
    I did too. Not because I was embarrassed or anything, but especially after 5/6 months DS2 was so distracted I couldn't get him to nurse any place new or interesting.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Wink Re: BF in public

AW! GIRL!
    I hope I don't get yelled at for saying this.. but... That's crap on a ****sicle. (That's what my baby daughter would say..lol, I'm nuts, and both of my daughters have "been speaking" since they were born, I just help ) So... DO NOT feel guilty, ashamed, OR EMBARRESSED about FEEDING YOUR HUNGRY BABY. Know what I mean? That's how I looked at it from day one with baby one. She's hungry, she eats. And let me say this.. my first was a SERIOUS marathon nurser, she was ON the breast more than she was OFF in a 24 hour period, no kidding. Sometimes she would eat every half an hour to hour, or even sooner! AND I had overactive let down and oversupply. We had to stop the car so many times while driving just so I could feed her, and we wouldn't even be going that far! It really was a nightmare now that I'm reflecting back on it.... but anyway, ok so when you say "You're not sure how to do it", what do you mean exactly? Because are you having trouble nursing your baby in general? If it's just the discreetness issue then one: there are a zillion different nursing covers out there, and I actually got one the other day even though I'm sure I'll never use it just because it's adorable, I may just wear it for fashion, lol, it's called a "L'oved Baby", it kinda looks like a poncho without the hood..but that would be simple and not so obvious as the ones with use neck rings are, you know? And ALSO, secondly...what I always always did, was use NURSING TANKTOPS. Would not have made it without them. I wore, and STILL wear nursing tanktops EVERY day just about. (except in the summer when I could wear a regular tank and just pull it down with a thin bra on, the regular thicker bras would bug the heck out of me..) I love the Glamourmom Long ones... there are so many to choose from. So you wear your nursing tank under your shirt, and when baby is hungry, you SIMPLY reach under your shirt and unclasp whichever side your going to nurse on, lift your shirt slowly just high enough to baby can meet with your nipple, and latch baby right on, then cuddle him/her (sorry don't know! or forgot..) with your shirt cover most of your breast, I swear to god, NOBODY ever ever knew when I was nursing Once I was at a restaurant and standing by the restrooms nursing infront of the whole restaurant, and some old man walked into the mens room but gave me a nice smile and nod (because he thought I was just cuddling my girly, otherwise I KNOW I would have gotten at least an eyebrow arch or a quick look away)...so it's always been really discreet for us to do it that way. These days I'll pop it out anywhere infront of anyone, lol...it's funny different people's reactions, but seriously, MOST people are cool about it, because it is what is natural, and MOST HEALTHY for your baby, and alot of people know that. So I hope my essay helps, sorry for it being so long.. one other thing though have you ever used a bottle with your babe'?
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

on practicing in front of the mirror. Start slow with family friendly less crowded settings. Parks, BabiesRUs, a quiet corner in a museum, etc... then you can work up to a crowded restaurant, shopping mall, etc... as you become more comfortable. I was nervous at first, but now with my second child I will NIP almost anywhere.

BF in public gets easier. Its just getting over that first few times. Use a nursing cover (if you can't find one in your town then just use an apron). I get a few looks from people but I just look them in the eye and THEY end up the embarrased one not me. And I agree with previous posts. Most people don't even realise what you are doing. I have had a few people come over and talk to me for a few minutes before they even realise the baby is eating. You can do it!!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

yup and I think it helps too to pick a good place.
    away from the traffic flow. Think about it a head of time so you have a plan of where your going to nurse before you get there.

get your back to the traffic flow and 90% of the people around will have no idea thats whats going on.

I agree go out of the main traffic flow.
    You do not have to sit in a crowded place and nurse.

I used to use store fitting rooms when I was a brand new mom and uncomfortable nursing just anywhere. Tell the fitting room attendant that you need a room with a good place to sit down and most will be eager to accommodate you.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.