Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help baby wont latch

Default Help baby wont latch

My 5 day old baby has started to refuse nursing. She will latch on for a couple of sucks and then start to fuss. Yesterday she had a favorite nipple and now today she acts like she doesnt want it all. I have been pumping today and offering her the breast but all she does and take a few quick sucks and then either falls asleep or starts to cry.

I tried changing positions, changing breast I feel like I have tried everything. I am desperate. I called the LC at the hospital but had to leave a message. I will become an exclusive pumper but it really isnt what I had mind for me and my baby.

Default Re: Help baby wont latch

similar thing happened to me - i wonder do you leak milk? do you think maybe your breasts are engorged or milk flow is too strong? that's what caused problems in my case... my breasts weren't soft enough for baby to latch.

You can definately get your baby back to the breast, she is still very young.

You've done the right thing in the meantime, pumping, to keep your supply up.

This video may help. It takes a bit of time to load:

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

What happened before she started refusing the breast? Do you have tons of milk? Did you introduce a bottle?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

how are things today?

5 days is so young.. You can get the baby back to the breast for sure...

Things were much better today. After I posted I started pumping to try to soften my breasts. I think I rubbed about 3 knots out of each breast when I was pumping. I was that engorged. Now that I have been pumping and keeping everything soft and squishy Madison has no problem with latching and staying on.

Thanks for the support ladies. Breastfeeding is such a learning experience. I defiantly went into panic mode thinking everything I have dreamed about and studied was going down the drain. No books can prepare you for the real thing.
    Last edited by @llli*maddys.mom; November 25th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.

Wonderful news!

We look forward to seeing you on here.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I did end up going to see the LC at the hospital. On Friday she started refusing to latch again and my breast were very soft. The LC saw that Madison is trying to get her tongue to the roof of her mouth instead of keeping it down. We had a really hard day yesterday, so I just offered her the breast and then when she would fuss I would give her some expressed breast milk and even had to give her some formula. Today starting at about 4 am she has been nursing like a champ and I can really feel her transferring my milk.

She is still a really sleepy baby. I have had to set an alarm to wake up every three hours so she can eat. Last night she started waking up some on her own.

I really hope today is the start of many more days to come. I can totally understand how moms can get very frustrated and give up. At this point I am still very committed to breast feeding even though things have not been perfect and she has had to have formula. On Thursday I am going to my first LLL meeting. I hope they have lots of advice and support for me.

You're doing good so be proud of yourself for persisting.

Nursing does get easier. For many of us, it takes a good 6 weeks to get in our groove. So just take it one day at a time and keep doing what you're doing.

Have fun at your LLL meeting!

And have you tried giving a clean pinky, with a trimmed nailbed resting on the tongue so it won't scrape the roof of her mouth, to LO to suck train her for a few minutes before latching?
    I did that all the time for the first 2 months to help my daughter figure out breastfeeding.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?