Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what on earth is this white spot on my nipple?

Default what on earth is this white spot on my nipple?

It just showed up on the tip of my nipple. It's NOT protruding or painful. My nipple looks completely normal. It doesn't come off easily when I try to push it out. I read up on "milk blisters" on kellymom but the picture on there does not look like what I have. Could it be a milk blister which WILL become painful when milk starts to back up behind it? What could it be and should I do something about it or should I just leave it alone for now since it's not hurting RIGHT NOW? I don't want to make it worse but if it's something I should start working on the earlier the better...

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: what on earth is this white spot on my nipple?

maybe its just skin pealing off Ive had that happen before.

watch it close.

That kellymom pic... It's not a great one. A white spot with no pain- it could be a blister. That's my go-to when someone mentions a white spot on the nipple. Perhaps it's a minor one that is already opened (and therefore you're not getting pain or milk backed up behind it).

So I'd keep an eye on it, maybe slather on some lanolin, but I wouldn't stress as long as there's no discomfort.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for responding. I'm *trying* to ignore it. I actually tried to see if I could kind of push it out somehow... but it didn't come out easily and after a while it started hurting a bit - just a bit, I'm pretty sure it's from the sensitive nipple skin being touched more than usual. (In the very beginning it was a little itchy - just enough so it felt good when LO nursed, the way you feel when you gently scratch an itchy spot on your skin.) So I want to leave it alone now.

But at the same time I soooo dread the possibility of it being a blister that could lead to a plugged duct and wonder if I should start working on it to prevent a plug. I don't want YET ANOTHER plug! Come on, I'm barely done dealing with some BAAAAD ones!

I called a local LLL Leader. She also thought it was a milk bleb and said she would leave it alone and just keep an eye on it for now if it isn't hurting.

It's gotten bigger in diameter - about 2mm now, but still not hurting or protruding. Looks like the white spot surrounds an opening - the end of a milk duct. When I hand express at least some milk still comes out from that opening.

OK will try to go to bed and see what it'll become...

I've also read about putting a cotton ball soaked in olive oil in your bra to loosen the skin up. I ended up with mastitis with my first bleb, so it's good to be aware and pay attention to things.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.