Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Leaking from bottom of th flanges

Default Leaking from bottom of th flanges

Has anyone ever had a problem with leaking milk from the bottom of the flanges when pumping? I end up lossing a lot of milk which frustrates me and then I end up pumping less too. Any advice?

Default Re: Leaking from bottom of th flanges

doesn't it go right into the bottle then? Maybe i'm picturing it wrong....
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I'm wondering the same thing. Can you please give us a better explanation??
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Do you perhaps mean you're seeing milk leak out from the bottom of the breast shield, where the pump contacts with the skin? If so, a different shield may help, or you could try bending over when you pump so that your breasts are pointed down at the floor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Do you perhaps mean you're seeing milk leak out from the bottom of the breast shield, where the pump contacts with the skin? If so, a different shield may help, or you could try bending over when you pump so that your breasts are pointed down at the floor.
    if this is it, maybe try the larger sized shields or the more molded one...I think called personal fit or something like that, they have a tad more give to them.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I had this issue with my freestyle. The flanges have a little gap on the tube connecting side, and if i tilt wrong, milk may sometimes drip out. I haven't really found a solution for it, other than using better posture.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

I'm also thinking smaller flanges would help - or a better hands-free set-up - if you're leaking, I can't imagine you're getting a good seal, you know?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes, I mean milk drips out under the flange. I needed to go up in size and the larger flanges are only hrd plastic. The flange size doesn't change when you go up in size, just the diasmeter of where the nipple enters the flange.

I'm still thinking that a more secure hands-free setup would help you. A very snug hands-free bustier would push the flanges down onto your breasts and create a better seal. I also had to lean forward slightly while pumping, because otherwise I would sometimes get a small gap under the flange like what you are describing, and milk would drip out. I think that is normal, but definitely having a secure hands-free bra really, really helps to keep those flanges in place.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.