Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh shoot! I think I see baby bottle mouth...

Default Oh shoot! I think I see baby bottle mouth...

I think I see what might be the beginnings of DS's two front teeth getting discolored. We have been night nursing up a storm since DS was born and now at 9 days away from being 3 he still nurses at night 2-5 times. Now I'm kicking myself for letting this continue. I was planning to night wean after the holidays but I'm bumping that up to now.

It seems like I remember reading something about liquid multi vitamins with iron discoloring teeth? Does anyone have a link or remember reading that? He does take a liquid multi every day.

Oh boy, not looking forward to these transitional nights. I am hoping that this goes easier than I think it will now that he's 3 and can understand a bit better.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: Oh shoot! I think I see baby bottle mouth...

Jen - it's not likely that nursing is causing his two top front teeth to become discolored. Those ones are away from the milk.

What do you mean by discolored? Maybe you should take him to a dentist if you're worried.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Jen,

I'd get him in to the dentist ASAP. There are several things that they can do to stop/slow down the progression of BBTD if caught early enough
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

that iron thing happend with sarah...
    And they weren't pitted or anything like that.. if you seeing pits or flakes try the dentist.
    Sarahs adult teeth are fine.

Tracie, that's right I hadn't thought of those teeth not being near the milk. Thanks.

We're making an appointment today for the first available slot with our pedi dentist who we love. I'm dreading the lecture though. He has had no idea that we were still nursing let along at night. I'm one to just omit info about our nursing to docs unless I think they are supportive or they need to know.

Andrea, I don't see any flaking or pitting. It just looks slightly darker near the gums.

I'm racking my brain trying to remember if he had any trauma to the front of his mouth that could cause those teeth to have damage but I can't remember and specific, oh wait. Now that I'm typing this he did hit his mouth on the bathtub faucet last week and he bit his tounge. Of course it was one of those nights where I forgot to put the faucet protector on!

Meanwhile the night weaning actually went okay last night. I only had to nurse for a bit around 3am when he started crying in earnest. Before that he woke up twice and went back to sleep with some shushing and chest pats.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Wow - that's really great Jen that he handled it so well.

I would say that if you are nightweaning, I personally wouldn't bring it up to the dentist. What's done is done. No need to add fuel to the fire of dentists that are ignorant about the benefits of breastfeeding and think that we're all going to rot our children's teeth out with night nursing.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yeah, I love our dentist but who I really love are the assistants and hygenists. But I have no idea what their take on the whole BFing thing is but i have to assume that it's how other dentists feel.

I hope it's just some kind of staining from his vitamins. I do give him quite a bit in some juice every single day. He's been historically low in iron b/c he wasn't a great eater. But the vitamins have helped tons.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF

So...update. Can you say over reactive momma??

We had a visit to the dentist yesterday and it turns out the dark areas were just some kind of staining. They did a quick cleaning and the stains came right off! Whew.

At least they saw the stains too, I wasn't making it up. But they were superficial. If it happens again they said it's safe to assume that it's the liquid vitamins. They said consider changing vitamins which will be easy considering that the ones we use were discontinued (durn you Schiff!!!) and I have the last bottle in town.

Thanks for helping me mommas. Big relief over here. I really thought I had done something terrible to my son!

ETA: oh yeah and the night weaning is going great! The first night I did nurse him a bit around 3am b/c he woke all the way up and was upset. The second night I nursed briefly once when he got really upset. Last night no nursing!!! I nursed him down at 9:30 and then again at 6:20 AM!!!!! First night in 1088 days that I didn't nurse him during the night!!!!!!!! I hope this continues. He woke up a few times last night but went right back to sleep with some shushing and patting.
    Last edited by @llli*proudmamaof3; November 24th, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF

What a RELIEF!!!

Have you seen pictures of baby bottle mouth? So sad. The ped dentist I took Lilah to showed me some pictures.

Great job with the nightweaning!! You will get some sleep
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yeah, whew!

No I haven't seen baby bottle mouth and I don't want to!! I figured it was just darkening like what I was seeing but I think it's much more than that. That's probably why I freaked out, b/c I didn't know what it was. I have seen kids with the silver caps on their teeth after having BBM and the thought of my LO like that till he lost his baby teeth just made me

Thankfully that's not what we're dealing with though.

And yeah, weaning is smoother than I thought. I hope that it stays this easy and isn't just some kind of honeymoon period. I would LOVE to sleep through the night!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF