Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help - want to nurse well past year 1

Default Need help - want to nurse well past year 1

I just had Ariella's 9 month appointment, and I received some recommendations regarding what I am supposed to do by 12 months. But, I'm worried this will cause my supply to tank and prevent me from nursing much past 12 months. Currently, Ariella gets 15oz BM while I'm at work along with 6oz of solids. Then, she nurses 4 times. She does sleep through the night.

The doctor said I need to reduce her BM intake to 12-16oz by 12 months. Plus, I am supposed to switch her over from bottle to sippy cups (now she only gets water in her sippy cup), and she's supposed to be fully off of purees and onto table foods by 12 months.

I'm worried all these changes will cause my supply to tank and to make us wean. 12-16oz of BM seems like so little for 12 months. For you moms who have nursed well beyond a year, what do you think? Thanks.

Default Re: Need help - want to nurse well past year 1

I wonder what the reason was for decreasing BM? The fact that the doc used oz makes me think she's not well versed in BF babies. What worked for us (we are nursing now in year 3), is to start offering solids before BM when we wanted to focus on that. However my son drank my pumped milk at DCP until be was like 14 months with no issue. If you want to start table food that's fine, you don't have to measure oz for that baby will eat and learn to feed themselves as needed then nurse and it shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that for the first 12 months solids are for practice and if baby doesnt eat a ton of them who cares, that's why you're still nursing.

We did transition out of a bottle by one year but it had no effect on nursing because we put BM in a soft tipped sippy cup so he was still drinking my milk while at DC and a little water at dinner with solids and then he'd still want to nurse.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Regarding the doctor's reasoning for the decrease in BM, she said that Ariella should be getting more solids and less milk by then. Yes, I too suspect that her advise is more geared to formula babies. She also said I could switch to cows milk at 1 year, to which I said that I wanted Ariella to stick with the BM. She said fine, just "whenever you're done, you can switch to cows milk".

She said Ariella's growth has been perfect, very proportional, just what they like to see. So, it's not like she hasn't been growing well or anything. It's just I've had to be very protective of my supply (which I believe has been what's caused me never to have a supply issue). I had to tell the doctor that no, I wasn't going to start her on formula at 4 weeks just "in case pumping didn't work out when I went back to work". So, I'm very skeptical regarding her advice on feeding. I just want to know how much I should cut back on the BM that I leave for her while I'm at work by the 1 year mark. Currently she gets 3 bottles of 5oz each at 9 months. She gets 1/2 jar of baby food and water in a sippy along with each bottle.

do you want to pump wean at a year? For me I was ready to toss the pump out the window so I pump weaned at a year...well I did it slowly so it ended at 14 months. My supply was well established (as is yours) so you can still nurse while you are together. At 12 months I found you have to worry less about exact oz per day and rely on what baby wants to drink or eat. Try leaving the same amount, or whatever you pump the day before and try offering solids, table food style and the a bottle/sippy/nursing and see what happens.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Great advice from Jenna (as usual)! Your doc's advice does sound geared for a mom who is intending to wean at or around a year. There's no reason to be measuring oz, actively trying to reduce your child's breastmilk intake (it's the healthiest thing any of us ever get to eat, so why not maximize your LO's consumption of it?), or stressing over purees vs. table foods. Most of the transitions your doc is stressing you out over will happen naturally, and don't need to be on a strict schedule.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

exactly! also remember that one great benefit of BF kids is the ability to self regulate their food intake, so baby will eat/drink when needed but not based on some random oz/day calculation for FF babies! and also remember that your milk charges as baby gets older so you are providing him/her exactly what s/he needs!

ETA: just had coffee you can offer nursing/BM before solids still if you want to keep BM the primary food regardless of what doc said. At that age we did a combo of offering breast first and small table food first. I wasnt worried because as I said your nursing relationship is well established and baby wanted to play with food more than chow a ton down.
    Last edited by @llli*Jenna562; November 21st, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I would only add, that if you WANT to, you can stop pumping around a year, and it will not cause your supply to tank as long as you continue to nurse in the evenings, at night, in the mornings, and on weekends. At a year, your supply is more stable and flexible than it was at six or even nine months. At that point, if you're nursing four times a day, your LO doesn't need to drink cow's milk, although you can always offer it for kicks.

But you definitely don't HAVE to reduce her breastmilk intake.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks so much, everyone! I think I'll just mostly keep doing what ive been doing, at least for a little while longer. I agree about the baby self-regulating, but MIL seems to think it's her mission to make sure Ariella eats everything that I leave for her (yes, I've told her not to push her to finish many times). Hence, this is why I put so much thought into how much I leave her during the day.

On an exciting note, Ariella fed herself puffs for the first time.

I think I'll slowly wean from pumping at a year, maybe cutting down to my early morning pump and just once at work to see how that goes. I do want BM to remain a major source of her nutrition even after a year, so I'll still want to be able to leave some BM for her for during the day. Thanks again for the thoughts. If anyone else has any thoughts on this, please feel free. I'm a first time mom, so I'm completely new to all this.

I'm not sure why doctors push bottle weaning/weaning from the breast at 12 months.
    Breastmilk is the best food for toddler also.
    Dr sears has some good info on his web site about how to switch to cows milk from formula. But you don't need to worry about that cause your nursing.
    Continue to do what is working for you and for her!