Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Upper lip "callous"?

Default Upper lip "callous"?

Yet another question- my inquisition just keeps growing!!

Sophie has had a "rough patch" on the inner half of her top lip for a few weeks now, it's the worst right in the middle on the tip- it looks like a mild blister, but feels like a hard smooth callous/pad of dead skin. It has peeled off harmlessly (and beautifully) twice already, just like a piece of dead skin, but keeps coming back. Is this a callous from nursing, and will it go away eventually?

Default Re: Upper lip "callous"?

Isabelle's lips were like that in the beginning. We had a hard time getting her lips to flare out (especially her bottom due to a recessed chin). It sounds like maybe your baby's top lip is tucked in, instead of flared out. So, try to make sure both of her lips are flared out as she eats. For me, it was fairly easy to correct the top lip without breaking the latch. Try pulling on the skin above her lip and see if that helps.

As far as keeping her lips soft, I don't really think there's anything you can do. I remember MIL trying to put chap-stick on her.... I told her that such a little baby had no need for chap-stick. The only people she would be kissing was mommy and daddy, and we didn't mind! Anyway, I don't know if it would help, but you could try expressing a little BM and rubbing it on her lips after she's done eating. If it works for dry/sore nipples, I'd imagine it works for baby's lips. But I don't know for sure....

Either way, I don't think the chapped/calloused lips bother baby as much as it bothers mommy.

I have noticed that the top lip only shows a little of the red part whereas her bottom lip is flanged as far as it could possibly go! I do pull on the skin around her lips everytime she looks a little "tucked" but I should try and pay more attention to the top lip. Thanks

My little guy was like that for about 8 or 9 weeks then it suddenly went away... My DH kept telling me he noticed his top lip was chapped/blistered as soon as I delivered him...so it couldn't have been from the way he nursed (not to mention he didn't latch on to me until around week 7). I guess maybe he sucked his thumb in the womb... who knows! I fretted about it for a while, then it magically disappeared - almost 5 months later it hasn't returned (and it did come and go the first couple of months like your LO's)...

Don't worry!

Lisa

Yup. It's called a nursing callous and it's very normal. I can't remember when DS's finally disappeared - probably a couple of months old.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Quote Originally Posted by luke's mom View Post
    Yup. It's called a nursing callous and it's very normal. I can't remember when DS's finally disappeared - probably a couple of months old.
    Yep totally normal ... it does not indicate a bad latch in most cases. Addie had huge nursing blisters for the first couple months. They'd get really big, then the skin would scab and fall off ... then another blister would appear. Both her ped and the LC said it was normal, no worries. I would rub in a little of my nipple cream to help it heal!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My baby's 4 mos, and has had them his whole life.