Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: maintaining supply vs. meeting LO's needs

Default maintaining supply vs. meeting LO's needs

Hi - I just started back to work and am trying to figure out how much / how often to pump that will maintain my BM supply.

Right now I am pumping WAY more than LO is taking in bottles (he's doing usually 2oz and occasionally as much as 2.5 or 3oz per feeding). When I pump - I typically get about 4 oz per breast. Ordinarily this "extra" would be a great way to build up a freezer supply, but it looks like I'm having the dreaded lipase problem (http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297) and can't freeze any surplus until I figure out how to freeze my BM in a way that DS will later eat. (We've tried scalding before freezing with not much success.)

I've dropped down from double pumping to doing just one breast at a time on my LO's feeding schedule while I'm away (roughly every 3 hours) - but I still end up with more BM than he'll end up taking fresh.

I'm worried about not pumping enough and losing my supply, yet it breaks my heart to have to pump & dump.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Lynn

Default Re: maintaining supply vs. meeting LO's needs

Boy, I wish I knew what to tell you but I don't know much about the scalding issue. I would think though that you may want to continue pumping as you are even if you have to dump it to keep your supply up as baby gets bigger and begins to eat more??? I know I cringe anytime I see milk go down the drain for any reason. Hang in there, someone will have a better answer soon.

Quote Originally Posted by thora View Post
    keep your supply up as baby gets bigger and begins to eat more???
    Thanks for the support! My gut is to pump to empty the breasts on baby's feeding schedule (pumping 1 side at each time) even if I end up with extra. Reading all the posts about people with not enough milk from pumping makes me definitely appreciative of my overactive boobs, but makes me nervous about losing supply if I don't pump enough.

It may be looking up - Sam started taking more at day care yesterday so even though I'm still pumping about twice what he's eating there's hope he'll catch up. In the mean time - maybe I'll mark bottles for DH to dump so I don't have to be the one to actually do it

I talked to several lactation consultants and one of the milk banks about the lipase / scalding situation. They all say it sounds like I'm doing things correctly and that it's VERY unusual for baby to not take the milk even after it's been scalded. I guess I've got a little guy with gourmet taste buds

Any other ideas about pumping to maintian supply vs. pumping exactly what LO needs right now???

Thanks -
    Lynn

Hello,

For the lipase issue I noticed that you live in Colorado, I live in Utah at about 4,500 feet elevation meaning things boil at higher temperatures in this altitude. The first few batches of milk I scalded didn't quite work right either. I followed the instructions from others to heat the milk in a pan to just when bubbles form around the edge, though this wasn't actually hot enough.

I didn't figure that out until I went out and bought an instant read thermometor (it cost under $10). When I was checking the milk with the thermometer I had to get it much hotter than I thought, we eventually ended up settling on using the bottle warmer and seriously heating the bottles . It works great, I check the bottles with the thermometer and now I've got it down pat ie: how much water to put in the warmer for a certain number of ounces, etc. The added bonus is that I don't have to take the milk out of the bottles I pump into.

I've added a link to a few posts I made to a long, long string of posts pertaining to lipase. I hope this helps. If you'd like me to send you a copy of the section in the Lawrence & Lawrence pertaining to heating and freezing, etc. book just let me know. It's really high level scientific 'stuff' I had to get my nurse hubby to help interpret.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297&page=4

Right now, I am scalding/heating everything, but this week I'm going to try to only scald/heat the extra and see if DS is used to Day Care and the bottle enough that he may take my untreated milk. If not, I'll be back to scalding it all.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Progress report - Yeah! My little guy has finally started to get comfortable enough with the bottle at day care that he's beginning to catch up to the amount that I'm pumping. Today he actually finished 8.5 oz (up from 5 or 6 last week). Next I tackle the lipase challenge ...

Lynn