Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: baby taking 20 oz formula per day--help!

Default Re: baby taking 20 oz formula per day--help!

It can be done! My sister was 6 months old and on a 100% formula diet. My Mom had no milk left. Merely by putting my sis to the breast before offering formula, she was able to unwean her, phase out the formula, and nurse for 18 months!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yes many people have but you have to trust your body. no need to force the bottle on baby after nursing. Put baby to the breast as much as possible, count diaper output and trust your body. It's not gonna work if you are always offering formula for every perceived hunger cue.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

nosupermom: congratulations! you must have a lot of dedication, esp. with two other kids to take care of! thanks for the encouragement!

momma!: that's encouraging too, thanks!

jenna562: i've def been forcing the bottle--i have to, to an extent, because he does need to eat--but I'll try not to do it as much and see how it goes. Do you know if the baby should have a bowel movement everyday?
    Last edited by @llli*gradstud; November 21st, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gradstud View Post
    Do you know if the baby should have a bowel movement everyday?
    not neccesarily. all babies are different. make sure wets are good. otherwise, unless your lo is crying when making a bm, or there is blood in his diaper, don't fret. some babies only go once or twice a week!
    i'm Kim, married to my DH since 8-3-02.
    this is my second attempt to bf after a breast reduction.
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    John Michael 2-8-08 ff and bf until 7 mos
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!

hey mama--have a look at those links with expert advice from KellyMom!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Hey there! You already got great advice, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm going through something similar right now as my son (5 weeks) was mostly drinking formula (about 24 oz a day!) a week and a half ago and I'm trying to get that eliminated or at least under 10 oz if I can. Right now it's around 17 oz. Just keep hanging in there- we can do this!

use an SNS, mama! supplementing using an SNS offers many benefits:

1/ baby receives all "food" at the breast --> lower risk of nipple preference
    2/ baby sucks at the breast even when he's really drinking from the supplementer --> more stimulation for your breasts to make more milk. if you want you can pump afterwards for 8-10 mins for even more stimulation
    3/ when baby is sucking at the breast to drink from the SNS he is also getting whatever (even if just a few drops) mill is in your breasts --> more thorough drainage of the breasts promotes faster milk production

if you do pump after/in between feedings (which I think you should) offer baby whatever you get in the supplementer BEFORE the formula.

I used the SNS when I had to supplement my baby because of low supply and suckling problems and I believe it helped immensely. I got my pretty low supply (to the point my baby was refusing to nurse and dropping weight) back after several weeks using very little formula. it was hard, but I did it. so I believe you can do it too!
    Last edited by @llli*irismom; December 22nd, 2010 at 01:30 PM.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

We are down to 11 oz! Not easy--I feel like I'm feeding all the time--but we're getting there! Thanks for the advice, and happy holidays!

keep up the good work Mama!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gradstud View Post
    We are down to 11 oz! Not easy--I feel like I'm feeding all the time--but we're getting there! Thanks for the advice, and happy holidays!
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989