Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can starting solids DISRUPT a sleeping pattern?

Default Can starting solids DISRUPT a sleeping pattern?

I posted something in the sleep forum, but just realized that my 6 month old who WAS sleeping perfectly through the night (8pm until 6am without waking) only started waking up at ridiculous hours of the night (3, 3:30, 4:30, and last night....onefriggenthirty) since I've been trying him on solids. He was doing great when he was EBF. Maybe I shouldn't have messed with a good thing? Or maybe it's a coincidence? Or maybe it's a growth spurt?

Any ideas? thoughts?
    I'm Rhianon.

Married to Seth on June 9th, 2007

Mama to my beautiful Birth Center boys:
    Hudson born May 7th, 2010. My 10lb chunk.
    Wyatt born June 5th 2012. My 9.1lb "little" guy.

I love Jesus. I wish I were a ballerina. I’m always cold. My wonderful husband and I are about as opposite as you can get. but I love him more than I could express. I don’t have the best memory in the world, but I can quote F.R.I.E.N.D.S at you all day long. My favorite color is blue.

Default Re: Can starting solids DISRUPT a sleeping pattern?

Could also be teeth, getting ready to crawl, other developmental changes.

The only thing that seems certain about baby sleep is that it will and does change all the time.

You could try cutting out the solids. Is he eating a lot of solids?

Your list of ridiculous hours makes me giggle. Lilah was waking up every 3 or 4 hours until she hit 6 or 7 months and then it was every 45 to 90 minutes for several months afterwards.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Oh golly...I don't know if i could handle that!

We're trying BLS and he's still getting used to it, so I don't think his intake is actually that much. I did mash up a banana a few of times and give that to him though as well as carrots.

Oh, Hudsy...
    I'm Rhianon.

Married to Seth on June 9th, 2007

Mama to my beautiful Birth Center boys:
    Hudson born May 7th, 2010. My 10lb chunk.
    Wyatt born June 5th 2012. My 9.1lb "little" guy.

I love Jesus. I wish I were a ballerina. I’m always cold. My wonderful husband and I are about as opposite as you can get. but I love him more than I could express. I don’t have the best memory in the world, but I can quote F.R.I.E.N.D.S at you all day long. My favorite color is blue.

I bet it has nothing to do with the solids then. If you were stuffing him full of baby purees during the day, then I could see him waking up to nurse more at night because, although the solids take up a lot of room in their stomachs, they don't have a lot of calories.

I bet it's either teething or some developmental change. Good luck.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

So, this sorta happened to me for about 2 weeks...

We were giving LO home purees when we ate dinner (around 5ish) and he goes to bed at 7pm. He was waking up hungry at 4:30a/5am with 10 hrs of sleep when he was sleeping 12 hrs. I thought that maybe his tummy was full from solids so he wouldn't get as many calories from the milk when we nursed before bed. So, we started doing solids around lunch time instead...however, it's hard to tell cuz this all happened around the same time as the time change and his bottom two teeth JUST poked through Mon and Tuesday this week...so, maybe it had nothing to do with the solids. He's still not sleeping 12 hrs like he was prior to the time change. But, suppose that is for another forum.