Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nyquil

Default Nyquil

I am breastfeeding 18 month old twins and have some virus that is making me completely miserable. I know nyquil is a no-no, but I was wondering if it was okay to take maybe the childrens nyquil that doesn't have alcohol in it? I'm desperate for some sleep. There are lots of things on the Internet, but they all talk about effects on infants, but they are not exactly newborns anymore.

If I can't take it, what do you recommend? I think I have influenza, even though we all got our flu shot. Fever, stuff runny nose, sore throat, cough, body aches, nausea, vomiting, headache.....

Default Re: Nyquil

I have taken Nyquil many times while BF'ing. The good stuff, regular adult version, with pseudoephedrine. I know that using pseudoephedrine over a long time can cause a supply drop, but I've never had any problems taking it now and then as needed.

As far as the alcohol, it's a very, very small amount. Kellymom says the occasional drink while BF'ing is okay.

Regardless, I wait until my baby is asleep (which buys me two or three hours to metabolize the stuff), then take a dose and go to bed. I don't do this because I'm afraid of Joe getting a tiny amount of Nyquil through my milk, it's more that the antihistamine knocks me out so hard that I tend not to wake up when Joe wakes up. So I try to take it while he's still sleeping in the crib (although, at 18 months, I'm not too worried about hurting him while cosleeping, it's nice to be able to crash out alone).

The other ingredients in Nyquil (antihistamine, acetaminophen) are A-OK for breastfeeding, with no reservations.

Hope you feel better soon!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks! I think I'll send my husband to get me the good stuff!!! I was planning on taking it after they go to bed and it's USUALLY about 5 hours before my daughter wakes up and starts co-sleeping and my son usually sleeps through the night. I just figured between that and their age, it should be okay. Have you seen any adverse effects in your son the next day (irritability, sleepiness, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twinsmommy View Post
    Thanks! I think I'll send my husband to get me the good stuff!!! I was planning on taking it after they go to bed and it's USUALLY about 5 hours before my daughter wakes up and starts co-sleeping and my son usually sleeps through the night. I just figured between that and their age, it should be okay. Have you seen any adverse effects in your son the next day (irritability, sleepiness, etc)?
    No, never. We always seem to be getting sick, too, so I've taken it quite a few times. Never had a problem with it. I would be most worried about the pseudoephedrine making him restless (not that that would be much of a change from the usual ) but it doesn't seem to have any effect on him at all. My guess is the stuff is metabolized really quickly and is mostly worn off by the time I nurse.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Nyquil contains Doxylamine, which is classified as an L4. There are probably safer things that you can take.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Nyquil contains Doxylamine, which is classified as an L4. There are probably safer things that you can take.
    Oops, I always thought it was basically Benedryl (which I know is okay) but now I see there is a difference. Do you think it would be safer to just combine Sudafed, Tylenol, and Benedryl? Sheesh, now I feel like a drug-pusher. But this child has brought some colds/flus into my life like you wouldn't believe!

Nonetheless, I have to imagine it's mostly worn off after five hours regardless, right?

You can call me JoMo!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Oops, I always thought it was basically Benedryl (which I know is okay) but now I see there is a difference. Do you think it would be safer to just combine Sudafed, Tylenol, and Benedryl? Sheesh, now I feel like a drug-pusher.

Nonetheless, I have to imagine it's mostly worn off after five hours regardless, right?
    The half life is somewhere around 9 hours. I have never taken Sudafed, but I would think that either tylenol or benadryl would be ok. Benadryl just freaks me out cause it makes me so sleepy.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Benadryl just freaks me out cause it makes me so sleepy.
    That's the point! (That, and to counteract the jittery side effects of Sudafed, which is a GREAT decongestant but feels like a cup of coffee. The combination, as in Nyquil, clears the snot and helps you sleep. Really, I only use these things as a last resort. I promise. Shutting up now. )

You can call me JoMo!

Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll stick to the childrens nyquil which doesn't have the alcohol or doxylamine. It has chlorpheniramine as the antihistamine and dextromethorphan for cough suppressant. I don't have any benadryl or would try that combination. May have to wait and get some tomorrow.

Thanks all