Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple confusion

Default nipple confusion

I have a 2 week old son. He is my third child, but the 1st one I've breastfed. We were barely getting the hang of nursing when I made the really stupid mistake of giving him a pacifier. He's only had it a few times...but sure enough, now we have nipple confusion. He's not opening his mouth wide enough for a proper latch. I need to correct this fast, because he hasn't reached his birth weight yet and the dr is talking about supplimenting if he doesn't get there soon. Anyone have any ideas? Or have I doomed our nursing relationship? I have my heart set on nursing my little guy...please help!

Default Re: nipple confusion

You are not doomed!! Not to worry you can still have a wonderful nursing relationship with your LO!
    Here is a link with a few ideas (more for if you had given LO a bottle) but it should help a little: http://www.kjsl.net/%7Ecee/confuse.htm
    I know others will come along with good suggestions. I just wanted to reassure you that everything will be okay! I would probobly avoind giving him a pacifier for a few more weeks until you have established a good supply. Just keep offering him the breast!

It took my LO almost 5 weeks regain his birthweight... just because your pedi suggests supplementing, doesn't mean you have to. You'll just have to be sure to really push the breast.
    Mom to 3 awesome kiddos...
    C - 9yrs

O - 7yrs
    A - 1yr old in Nov '15

Thanks for the encouragment ladies...I definitely dont want to give up...I have a feeling I will be visiting this site a LOT!!

I really wonder why most ped`s quick fix for every problem is to stop breastfeeding? I mean, people have survived before formula too. And, nipple confusion can be fixed. I was told to supplement my little son when he was just barely 1 week old, and he developed nipple confusion. Plus, he was always sleepy from the formula, so he would not even try for a while. But, once the bottle was removed, he slowly started to take my breast again. He is now 7 weeks old and his "hobby" is to nurse. Just keep offering your breast and he will soon get the hang of it. And do not let pp discourage you. I was always panicking b/c pp told me I did not have enough milk and that I will starve my baby. And while I clearly don`t have oversupply issues, my baby is gaining well and seems a ton happier than when I was bottlefeeding him.
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Hi there!

Congratulations on your new baby. We generally like to see babies regain their birthweight by 2-3 weeks. What was his birthweight? What is it now?

The best thing to do is just cut out all artificial nipples and keep him coming to the breast. In your case, where a pacifier (and not a bottle) was used, hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to correct.

Here's an article with some good ideas on persuading baby to take the breast:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/avoid.html

And a (non-LLL) site with videos showing ways to latch baby. I highly suggest the assymetrical latch:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

If you're really struggling to get him latched, please click the link in my signature below and call a Leader in your area. Sometimes having someone in person to help you get the baby latched can make all the difference!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks so much for your support ladies! Actually we got some good news last night. We went to a breastfeeding clinic at our local hospital...and at his weigh-in, we found out he's gained 6 ounces in the last 4 days! His birthweight was 7 pound 8 ounces, and he's now 7 pounds 1 ounce. So we are on our way! Also, the lactation consultant showed me how to position the baby better...and how to hand express some milk to soften the aeriola...and viola...better latch, less pain. Thank God for these breastfeeding experts!

Yay! I'm glad he's gained weight and that you got the help you needed! Hang in there and keep us posted
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!