Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So thirsty!!!

Default So thirsty!!!

Folks,

I keep experiencing this immense thirst that water doesn't seem to quench. I drink a tonne, I promise you, and when I am done there is no space in my stomach anymore, but my tongue and throat still feel parched and dry (a bit better than before I drank, but only a bit). What's my problem? This has been the case since I have been nursing.

Vidhya.

Default Re: So thirsty!!!

How many weeks postpartum are you? In my first 3 weeks or so, I was unbelievably parched and thirsty. I mean, I still have a good thirst, but it was like I was in the desert or something! Maybe it has to do with the body adjusting to the production of milk?

Five months post partum - it's been going on for a long while. But with all the problems I have had, this was the smallest

I am thirsty all the time and My Son is almaost 10 months old. Interesting that water doesn't quench it. What else do you drink? I have found in my life that anytime water wasn't quenching my thirst, I have to cut out everything else thay I drink. All the juice, soda, whatever. Whne water is the only liquid I drink it is always soooooo Good!! But it's hard to remember to just drink water. (Especially if there is Lemonade in the fridge. )

You also might want to think about having your doctor take a look at you. Excessive thirst that doesn't go away can be a sign of diabetes. Did you have gestational diabetes? Also, some women develop postpartum thyroid disorders, so that is another one to look out for if you see your doctor.

Most likely though it is just your body responding to the hormones you are producing to make milk.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon