Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Weaning...

Default Re: Weaning...

yup I don't know either...

Who knows once the baby comes she might not even ask to nurse.
    some kids don't and its ok to say no if your not fealing it.

my older ones were too far appart to tandem nurse.
    And phillip was cool with not nursing, he was ready to wean with a little push.

Tracie, you saw my post a few days ago! I'm only in the first trimester and my skin is crawling... I don't know how you made it that long. I you.

It's crazy... my DS was nursing 8-10 times per day when we were home alone still. Maybe just out of habit, I don't know... because I'm distracting him now and telling him "Oh you don't need that" in a silly voice and he's totally fine. Doesn't even blink an eye for the most part! I am down to nursing at naptime and before bed now. And all night long... but that's another whole project I don't know how to tackle yet.
    Emily~ nursing my 19 mo old baby boy with baby #2 due June of 2011!

Just to encourage you.... my daughter self-weaned just before she turned 2 and I thought I would be SO sad and miss it, but really it was just fine. I was fine and she was fine. And now that she's headed toward 2 and a half, I can't imagine nursing her. I'm not against nursing past 2 or anything like that, I just realized that children are more resilient than we think they are. and 2 years is a LONG TIME to nurse!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmama79 View Post
    Tracie, you saw my post a few days ago! I'm only in the first trimester and my skin is crawling... I don't know how you made it that long. I you.

It's crazy... my DS was nursing 8-10 times per day when we were home alone still. Maybe just out of habit, I don't know... because I'm distracting him now and telling him "Oh you don't need that" in a silly voice and he's totally fine. Doesn't even blink an eye for the most part! I am down to nursing at naptime and before bed now. And all night long... but that's another whole project I don't know how to tackle yet.
    Wow! That's great. You have plenty of time to decide what to do.

It was worse in the first trimester, in terms of pain. That went away but now the latching on pain is back...
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

This morning went pretty well too... she was fairly easily distracted from nursing. I really expected huge meltdowns. She cried for a minute or so but was fine picking out a cereal and a cup for her milk and didn't ask again after that.

Two more days this week and then I'll have to be on my feet all weekend if I want to try to keep it to once a day. I really think the after work nursing will be the hardest for her to give up. Although last night when it started to get to be too much, after about 10 minutes, I asked her if she wanted to play with something with me, she was just fine unlatching.
    Tracie

Mommy to

It sounds like you are doing really good so far! Sounds like your distraction techniques are working out well. For this weekend, I would just recommend planning ahead and having lots of fun activities to do with her... maybe a trip to the park or some new play doh or some new different snacks??
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Sounds like it's going really well, Tracie. I was so surprised at how easily Nora gave it up. I really thought she was more attached than she was.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Play doh is a great idea! We don't have any. I'll take her to the store to pick some out on Friday. I also anticipate us going to several different playgrounds - on Sunday I got her to not nurse after her nap by asking if she wanted to go to the playground. We have several within walking distance. Monday night when we got home she said "I want nurse. Playground?"
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Sounds like it's going really well, Tracie. I was so surprised at how easily Nora gave it up. I really thought she was more attached than she was.
    Thanks Paige.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    I just realized that children are more resilient than we think they are.
    This is what my DH says to me all the time.

This morning DH went to get Lilah and brought her to me while I was getting grits ready for her. She was so involved telling him that he needed to get dressed and put shoes on that she never even asked to nurse this morning.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. We'll be together all day and I am not sure if I can keep her to nursing only once. But I am going to try. Once a day might be something I can handle long term.
    Tracie

Mommy to