Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Weaning...

Default Re: Weaning...

Thanks Beth. Intellectually I know she will be ok, but it has been such a large part of our relationship for so long.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Congrats you made it 2 years!!

I think it's great that you are listening to your own instincts. As with all child dicipline I think it's important to be consistent. Sending mixed messages is very confusing for children, when they can sense that you are unsure and that you're wavering they are most likely going to keep trying to get what they want. I think that this applies to weaning nicely. Pick what is acceptable to you and stick with it

I wanted to throw this out to you. I literally wanted to take Logan and shove him across the room nursing him towards the end of my pregnancy. It made my skin crawl.

But he was so persistent and we ended up nursing the whole time.

The second that I gave birth all of those creepy hormonal feelings went away. I was okay nursing him once the baby came.

So just keep in mind that these feelings are temporary. JIC you might want to try tandem.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks Lisa. I thought I remembered you saying something about that around the time that Colby was born.

This morning she handled not nursing very well. No crying and only asked once. I had a little applesauce cup ready and when she asked to nurse I told her that she should come see what I got her. She didn't eat much of it, but thought it was a fun container. So I think I'll start getting something that she will consider fun in the morning ready the night before to head her off from the AM nursing. That one I really can't stand... and on days I'm home, seems to set me up for nursing non-stop all day.

She may actually be ready for this, which would really surprise me. Last night on the way home she told me that she didn't like the nurse, although she did want to nurse when we got home. Then when it started getting to be too much for me and I told her we would be done in 2 more minutes, she just unlatched and told me "I all done."

A lot of times I think she asks to nurse because she thinks it's the only way to be close to me. I'm going to pick up some fun things for us to do... crafty things for if/when I try to cut the after work nursing out.

Honestly, I think I can manage to distract her enough on the days that I work - it's the days that I'm home all day that I don't know how we'll figure it out.

And perhaps we can keep at one time a day, if she starts to be as willing to unlatch as she was last night. We shall see. One day at a time.
    Tracie

Mommy to

sounds like things are going ok..
    its ok to have a very bad day and just say no I'm done for today.

And she can have a bad day too when she just needs to re-connect.

hows it going at night? does she sleep all night for you?

My DH actually goes to her at night now. He took over bedtime in early August or late July, I can't remember and she actually started sleeping a 4 to 6 hour stretch at the beginning of the night at that point. Then in mid-September he took over the whole night. She sleeps all night (8 pm to 6/7AM!!!) about half the time and then wakes one to three times about half the time and he goes to give her water.

It's so funny. When I was in there sleeping with her, she would nurse every one to three hours. But as soon as I was back in my room, she started sleeping better. Her canines were all the way in at that point though.
    Tracie

Mommy to

thats good, thats what we did too...

what worked for us what dh slept with 2 year old and I took care of newborn in our bed.

about 6 weeks and 2 year old was sleeping all night every night and newborn was sleeping beter and hubby came back to our bed.

Good luck!

My DH falls asleep in there sometimes too. It's really cute.

On the weekends he tries to convince her to stay asleep longer than 6 am and it's funny to hear their conversations over the monitor.

Thanks Andrea. No matter what happens, there's no way I'm nursing two children on and off all night long!! (The luxury of not having twins - I don't know how those women do it!!)
    Tracie

Mommy to

yup I don't know either...

Who knows once the baby comes she might not even ask to nurse.
    some kids don't and its ok to say no if your not fealing it.

my older ones were too far appart to tandem nurse.
    And phillip was cool with not nursing, he was ready to wean with a little push.

Tracie, you saw my post a few days ago! I'm only in the first trimester and my skin is crawling... I don't know how you made it that long. I you.

It's crazy... my DS was nursing 8-10 times per day when we were home alone still. Maybe just out of habit, I don't know... because I'm distracting him now and telling him "Oh you don't need that" in a silly voice and he's totally fine. Doesn't even blink an eye for the most part! I am down to nursing at naptime and before bed now. And all night long... but that's another whole project I don't know how to tackle yet.
    Emily~ nursing my 19 mo old baby boy with baby #2 due June of 2011!