Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weaning...

Default Weaning...

I'm not sure why I'm embarrassed about this, but I'm weaning Lilah. I can't take the nursing while pregnant anymore. I hit a wall Friday where it was better for me to listen to her scream at me for 30 minutes while she fell asleep than nurse for one more second right then. I don't know if I will let her nurse after the baby is born or not, we'll see when that happens.

So far, over the weekend when DH was home I managed to keep her to nursing only twice both days. Which was quite huge given that she can normally nurse up to 10 times on a weekend day. We were at 6 or 8 on Friday, which was our alone day! I won't be on my own with her all day again for a month and I have a plan for that day already. (DH has every other Friday off and I have every Friday off)

During the week she normally nurses first thing in the morning and then when we first get home from work. Today I didn't let her nurse in the morning - and it went surprisingly well. She cried for a minute and we turned on Word World and she was fine with raspberries. Hopefully it will go well the rest of the week.

Then for the weekend I think I am going to try to keep her to nursing just once... maybe after she wakes up from her nap. Next week is only a three day work week and so I'll try to have something super fun to do after work and distract her and then no more nursing after that...

Is this too fast? I'm fighting the urge to just be ALL DONE NOW.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Weaning...

how old is she?

I got to that point with my phillip.... When I was pg with little sis
    it was just too much!
    And he did just fine.

How long till the baby comes?

Just want to give you hugs and tell you not to be ashamed or embarrassed. I know I'd be in this position too if Silas wasn't doing it on his own.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

She just turned 2 years old two weeks ago... baby is due in 6.5 weeks...

And I cannot hang on that long. I feel like hitting her when she nurses. And limiting the length of the session is no longer helping.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Just want to give you hugs and tell you not to be ashamed or embarrassed.

I think if it's working to just say no to nursing, then do it. But don't feel like you have to be super strict about it either. Just go with the flow, do what is working in the moment and you will both be just fine, I promise.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks Ladies. I guess I feel off about it because I wanted her to decide when to be done. And I was hoping that we could still have the nursing connection even with a new baby in the house - but I really can't take it any more.

However, she is taking it pretty well, so far. I don't really say no, well, I did this morning. I told her the nurse was still sleeping. Yesterday I asked her "Do you want to nurse or go to the playground" when she asked to nurse. and then later "Do you want to write on the dry erase board wall?" another time.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Just want to give you hugs and tell you not to be ashamed or embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post

I think if it's working to just say no to nursing, then do it. But don't feel like you have to be super strict about it either. Just go with the flow, do what is working in the moment and you will both be just fine, I promise.
    I agree, you have to do what feels right to you. If distraction works, then keep it up! But don't feel like you are doing a disservice to Lilah by nursing her if she really seems to need it, like if she gets hurt or something. I definitely agree with the "go with the flow" mentality, and just do what works right then.

Also wanted to say I am so proud of you for making this choice! I know it certainly can't be an easy choice, but you have to do what FEELS right to you. And if nursing her doesn't feel right to you anymore, there is no shame in weaning her, 2 years is AWESOME!!!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

cool sounds like your on the right track...
    phillip and sarah where 2 years and 2 weeks apart...

he asked to nurse one time after she came and I said no its just for babies and he was ok with that.

don't be embarrased! You made it past two - that's a great accomplishment! You are doing what works best for you and your family and there is no shame in that!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I agree too. Just do what feels right for you guys. Congratulations on nursing for so long!!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97