Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mom told me nursing toddler is making me weak

Question My mom told me nursing toddler is making me weak

And the scary thing is, I'm actually wondering if it's true. I'm just so tired of being sick. In the past month I've had bronchitis and gastroenteritis, I'm constantly tired and seem to get every cold that goes around. I've been either pregnant, BFing or both for five whole years so it would be kind of nice in a way to have my body back! But I'm not planning on having any more children and I'm not in a hurry to wean my LO - for his sake or mine.

I'm not sure if I'm asking a question or just needing a virtual hug or reassurance that it's not (and I quote) "ridiculous to be still nursing a child that size because it's just habit now and he obviously doesn't need it any more." It's tempting to believe her because she's not only my mom but a retired midwife and pediatric nurse.

I'm still getting over the gastroenteritis/food poisoning/or whatever it was, and I'm still only able to take small sips and eat very small amounts of basically BRAT diet foods if I want it to stay down and I feel really weak. Every time I nurse my 18 month old, I get a huge wave of nausea and have to lie down for a few minutes after he's done. I sound pathetic don't I? Any advice on how to get my strength back?
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Default Re: My mom told me nursing toddler is making me weak

have you had a check up recently? check to make sure you're not anemic or have other deficiencies?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I never thought about it until reading your post, but I've been sick a lot, too, and I wonder if it's related to nursing. I'm currently a SAHM, and I've had more colds in the seven months since my baby was born than last year while teaching high school!

My baby is almost seven months old, and I've had three colds. I'm sick right now! I feel tired all the time, too.

Hello,

Are you taking vitamins normally, of course you may not be while you are sick, but I find that I know when I forgot to take my prenatal vitamins. I am nursing two, but I definately know when I forgot to take it. I agree with the previous poster, go see your doctor and have them do some testing to see if you have any vitamin deficiencies.

The one thing I had to say was - just because your mom was a midwife and pediatric nurse, does not mean that she supports, understands, or even likes extended breastfeeding. In our culture it is okay til age 1, after that many people that 'support' it are no longer supporters. I love our pediatrician, but I don't listen to her regarding breastfeeding!

Good luck and big hugs

and
    What are you eating in a normal day? I know your toddler is nursing a lot, are you eating enough for both of you? It is hard to fit enough food into the day when you are chasing 2 kids. Let alone when you are chasing kids doing pretty much everything at home and working.

I second the question about anemia too, but I think stress and not enough sleep could be the reason you keep getting sick.

And I mean this in the nicest possible way, but your mum is not good at supporting you emotionally and has, if I remember rightly from posts when you were pg, said some very odd thing to do with BF and AP. Different generation and mindset. I know when my mum had me she had to go to a hospital the other side of London to get one that was natural birth, bf etc friendly. She was a hippy mum and only EBF until I was 6 months and while she night nursed until I was about 11 mo, that was considered really odd (formula bottles in the day)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I'm basing this on nothing but my own personal experience, but my take is that it's not nursing that does it, it's having a toddler.

They're like cute little biological weapon delivery systems.

They attract all the weirdest, most virulent germs and then they lie on top of you and breathe in your face all night and use you for a kleenex. I got sick all. the. time when my kids were little. Strep multiple times with weird rashes, pink eye, viruses, double pneumonia... My husband said it was because I had a "weak constitution." But funny thing, once they got past kindergarten age my constitution must have magically improved, because I haven't gotten any of those wacky illnesses in years.

Hang in there!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    I'm basing this on nothing but my own personal experience, but my take is that it's not nursing that does it, it's having a toddler.

They attract all the weirdest, most virulent germs and then they lie on top of you and breathe in your face all night and use you for a kleenex. I got sick all. the. time when my kids were little. Strep multiple times with weird rashes, pink eye, viruses, double pneumonia... My husband said it was because I had a "weak constitution." But funny thing, once they got past kindergarten age my constitution must have magically improved, because I haven't gotten any of those wacky illnesses in years.

Hang in there!
    and

I wouldn't blame nursing- though I have read here and there about moms who feel nausea when they nurse. Something about a biological response to the oxytocin released when a kid nurses... I'm sure it's worse right now because you're already sick!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much everyone

I think it's absolutely true that toddlers are exhausting, so toddler + incredibly challenging preschooler who gets up at 5am every day + DH working from 3am every day and taking a masters = stressed out mom whose immunity is compromised. But I take the point about the iron levels etc. We're going to lose our health insurance when DH goes part time nx mth so I'll make a point to go see my Dr while we're still covered!

Also interesting that nausea while nursing could be oxytocin related. I always used to throw up every month with my period so maybe I don't tolerate hormones well, but what would I know?
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post

Hang in there!
    A good friend of mine is a pediatrician, and her DH is an ER physician, and they say the same thing. They were continually ill during their peds rotations, and they had a child living with them at the time who went to daycare, so they were exposed to everything and spent like 3 years or so sick nonstop. And they swear it's from the kids. Our oldest child's psychologist said the same thing. He's sick all the time, just from being around kids who must be brewing stuff.

It has nothing to do with vitamins and all of that. I take them, and I still get sick continually I actually have pneumonia right now. And I take prenatal vitamins, extra B's, extra minerals and all kinds of things. While a checkup is in order, I wouldn't rely on a vitamin to keep me from getting sick.

My thought about the nausea related to nursing...you aren't pregnant, are you? That's another cause of nausea when one is nursing a toddler.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Could you be vitamin D deficient? It's an easy blood test to check. In my experience, I got sick a lot more often when I was vit D deficient. Now that I know my levels are good, and I'm on an appropriate level of supplementation (5,000 IU daily for most adults), I'm not sick often and I tend to fight it off a lot faster when I do get sick (like 4 days for a cold, rather than 10).
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.