Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so sad and worried

Default I'm so sad and worried

Can I EVER get on here and start a thread about something positive? I should probably start doing that when this is over.

The entire upper half of my right breast is hard and lumpy...

It's day 4 already and my big bad plugged ducts won't improve no matter what I do. I've tried EVERYTHING I could find on the internet to treat plugged ducts without any good result.

It's saddening to me to know DD is not getting the milk she always does. She's the type that just lets go and do st else when she doesn't get enough, so she's not fussing, but still.

She's eating solids and drinking some water plus whatever EBM I can pump from the affected side after she nurses. She's not getting enough liquid because she's a little constipated.

And I try not to but I'm worried about my supply taking a nose-dive because of this. It already is. I even thought what if she'll wean... that doesn't sound very likely BUT... given her personality and the fact that she's barely getting any milk from that side (an entire wedge-shaped area is lumpy, one edge of which I think is one of those big, main ducts that goes all the way to near my armpit. I remember reading from somewhere to massage that area to get more milk flowing when BFing.)

If by any chance she weaned now (or because of this) I'd be so devastated.

I'm always such an emotional worrywart when it comes to my dear baby...

And I'm so tired. I've been working non-stop at these stubborn plugs for 3.5 days. I should be dangle-pumping or at least massaging now but I don't have any energy left.

Should I go see an LC/doctor? It doesn't seem to be getting worse just not ANY better. And I don't think our insurance will cover much, if any, of the cost of seeing an LC/doc for this.

x100
    Last edited by @llli*irismom; November 16th, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Default Re: I'm so sad and worried

Why won't insurance cover it?

If you can't remedy the situation, the plugged ducts could cause an infection, right? (I've never had this problem before but know many women who have.) I think you should see a doc regardless of whether insurance will pay for it or not. Better to be proactive now than reactive with a bigger problem later on.

Don't lose hope, mama!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Have you tried taking lecithin? It has to be one 1,200mg capsule, four times a day--according to my doctor. Especially since your plugged ducts keep coming back, I think the lecithin could really help.

Also, keep getting your DH to help you with sucking out the milk. My DD is the same--totally refuses the breast that has the clogged duct and is no help at all .

are you running a fever yet?
    it sure sounds like your on the boarder of masitiis. and you don't want to suffer longer then you have to.
    Give your doctor a call. 24 hours of anti-botics and you'll be fealing much much beter.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

I'm trying to get seen by a doc who is also an IBCLC. It seems that those ducts of mine (on both breasts) are kind of "deformed" now due to previous plugs so now the plugs keep recurring. Right now I'm having them in BOTH breasts I'm not running a fever and there's no redness so I MAY not be having mastitis BUT I'm DESPERATE to get those ducts "fixed". I'm soooooooo frustrated. I can't keep having to deal with plugs. It takes all my time away from my baby. I have tried EVERYTHING you can possibly find online. I think I NEED to NOT have them anymore, not to just deal with them when they occur.

Sobamom: I've been taking soy lecithin. I know the dose is 1200mg 4x/day but I have the Whole Foods brand and it says the dose is 1 rounded scoup, which is 15g, a day so that's what I've been taking Should I be taking less, coz that sounds like waay more that the 4,800mg/day.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    I know the dose is 1200mg 4x/day but I have the Whole Foods brand and it says the dose is 1 rounded scoup, which is 15g, a day so that's what I've been taking Should I be taking less, coz that sounds like waay more that the 4,800mg/day.
    15 g = 1500 mg. So it's actually significantly less than the 4800 mg/day recommendation.

How old is your baby now? I had plugs frequently until my first LO was, IDK, 8-9 months or so? And then they diminished in frequency and finally went away.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I had plugs frequently until my first LO was, IDK, 8-9 months or so? And then they diminished in frequency and finally went away.
    This was my experience too. I also noticed that they seemed to get harder and harder to clear up, I have no idea why that would be. Maybe because over this time, Joe was subtly lessening his nursing sessions, so slowly I didn't notice? I have no idea, but those last few clogs I got were PERSISTENT. I didn't ever get a fever or mastitis, but the tender lumps just would.not.break.up.

I took lecithin for a long time and it did seem to help. I have stopped taking it but I still haven't had a clog in (knock on wood) over six months now - since pump weaning. I think my body is fully adjusted to this whole BF'ing thing now, and my supply is lower and more flexible. It used to be that one skipped feeding would send me into clogged-duct zone.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I know you said you tried everything, but have you tried pumping while in a very hot shower? One time I had one, that's what it took - and it took almost an hour of pumping while massaging under hot water. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    15 g = 1500 mg. So it's actually significantly less than the 4800 mg/day recommendation.

How old is your baby now? I had plugs frequently until my first LO was, IDK, 8-9 months or so? And then they diminished in frequency and finally went away.
    15g = 15000 mg. Trust me, I just googled it just to check I, too, had thought 15g = 1500mg and had planned to take 3 rounded scoups a day. I stopped myself just as I was about take the second scoup the first day.

My baby is 13MO. I never had a single plug from around 3-4M all the way till 11M and since then till now 2 months and 9 bouts of plugs already . It all started with those plugs I had here and in the "The entire upper half..." thread in the OP. (Oh of course I always make sure to report to you LLLadies any plugs I have ) Since then I keep having plugs in the same areas. Carry baby in my arms for even a short time: plugs. Sleep on one side for an extended period of time: plugs. Rock baby to sleep: plugs. I believe I gotta get those ducts FIXED!!! (emailed Dr. Jack Newman and he said yes the ultrasound treatment is safe and effective)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twinsmommy View Post
    I know you said you tried everything, but have you tried pumping while in a very hot shower? One time I had one, that's what it took - and it took almost an hour of pumping while massaging under hot water. Just a thought.
    I have. I think this is more persistent because several adjacent ducts are blocked at the same time, so it's not like a treatment works and you get instant relief, kwim?

I'm seeing a doc who is also an IBCLC tomorrow. We'll see what she says.

I have to wonder if there's a reason my doctor told me to take the 1,200mg capsules four times a day, versus one big dose all in one go. My local Wholefoods had the capsule version and the price was surprisingly cheap. Maybe give this a shot?