Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supplementing a preschooler

Default supplementing a preschooler

anyone ever give a preschooler expressed breastmilk?
    do you think it would help a child with poor immunity (and minimal breastfeeding history)-- or is it really too late by then to get the benefits of breastmilk?

Default Re: supplementing a preschooler

I can't reference any studies but i don't think it would hurt. Heck i've squirted my own breastmilk in my eye to fight an infection and i'm OLD.

I know it couldn't hurt! Although the benefits change as they get older it is still healthy and good for immunity!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

My 3 year old, although he has never nursed directly from the breast, has received EBM on and off for most of his life. He was getting it continuously until age 2, but from about 2 to 2.5 he wasn't getting any. About 5 months ago we started giving him 8oz of EBM a day, with chocolate added since he is more likely to drink it. I think it helps him. Although he does a lot of activities around other kids, he gets sick rarely.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

My 3.5 yr old gets breastmilk that is frozen and about to expire. I have had to pump a lot with my second baby and ended up with extra frozen. So as long as the baby is getting fresh milk, DD1 gets what is approaching the 6 mth mark. I wish she liked it more, I have it give it to her in teh car or she won't take it. I have tons frozen too, maybe I need ot just donate it.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laurak View Post
    I know it couldn't hurt! Although the benefits change as they get older it is still healthy and good for immunity!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samiha View Post
    My 3 year old, although he has never nursed directly from the breast, has received EBM on and off for most of his life. He was getting it continuously until age 2, but from about 2 to 2.5 he wasn't getting any. About 5 months ago we started giving him 8oz of EBM a day, with chocolate added since he is more likely to drink it. I think it helps him. Although he does a lot of activities around other kids, he gets sick rarely.
    Chocolate Breastmilk!!! Awesome!