Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not eating, only nursing

Default Not eating, only nursing

Hello all,

I have 18 month old twins. We are still nursing, pretty much on demand. My daughter eats well and nurses whenever the opportunity arrives. My son has been pretty much refusing to eat more than a couple of bites of food a day for the last few weeks and wants to nurse constantly. If it was a few days I would just go with it, but it's been almost three weeks. Part of me says if he didn't fill up on breastmilk, then he would eat, but the other part of me says if he needs to nurse, then that is what he needs. Just wondering about any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Not eating, only nursing

I'd let him nurse. Any chance that he's sick? Sometimes that will increase nursing frequency and cut down on solids intake...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Awe...poor mama! It can be rough when one toddler decides to take a vacation from solids but nursing two babes with one wanting to nurse like a newborn...whew! s

I agree with PP. I would go with it. There could be something going on that has made him not want solids. cold, teething, or a recent tummy bug? DS3 had a tummy bug a few weeks ago and he refused to eat anything for 8 days. He nursed non-stop tho. Thank goodness we can supply all the nutrients they need by nursing. Could you imagine how you would be feeling if you weren't able to nurse him and he was on a solids strike?
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

If you found that your LO was sick or in pain, and you hadn't let him nurse rather than eat solids, how would you feel about it? I would let your answer to that be your guide, because so much of the time we just don't really ever get to know what is going on with our toddlers -- at least not at the time it's happening, if at all. If your intuition says nurse on demand, then trust yourself. (And BTW, molars, if they are on the horizon, can be VERY tender for a VERY long time....)
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

If he seems otherwise happy and energetic, and is making normal output, I'd probably let it be at least a while longer, if you're able to handle it... but if you're concerned that he seems lethargic or unusually fussy past what eg a burst of teething is likely to explain, or if he isn't peeing as much as you'd expect, you might want to take it as a cue to just check in with your pediatrician....

Thanks everyone. We were just at the pediatrician and I don't think there are any major concerns. Of course, he could have a stomach bug (no diarrhea though), molar teething, or any number of things going on. It's just been three weeks so I wondered if it was something like that how long would it really last (other than the teething). Thanks for the advice - we will just go with it and keep nursing on demand.