Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain/itch

Default Nipple pain/itch

Hello all nursing moms! I have been nursing my 5 month old daughter problem-free from day one. But for the past couple of weeks, I have been experiencing tremendous itching/soreness at the nipple, and frequent blocked ducts. She sleeps 12-13 hours at night, with no feeding. After the first am feeding, my nipples itch so much I can hardly think straight! I keep lanolin on 24/7. Some days are better than others. What are we suddenly doing wrong? Positioning? Is it her latch? Please, any advise is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Nipple pain/itch

The itchiness sounds like thrush.

Exclamation Re: Nipple pain/itch

I didn't see any signs of thrush in my daughter, but I called my doc. He prescribed Fluconazole tablets, 2 actually. One I took Wednesday night, the other will take 3 days after. I felt better almost immediately. This morning, my daughter woke up for her first feeding around 7am. Fed her, she went back down for a little nap. When she awoke, I noticed a bit of spit-up with little dark-reddish? colored pieces on her pajamas. I changed her diaper and clothes, then when done, spit-up a little more again. This time, a little more of the dark-reddish pieces in it. Her bib was aqua, so color hard to tell. Since, I've put her in white bib in case it happens again. Called her doc, the nurse says to watch for bright red. She says maybe blood is from my breast milk. I do have what looks to be a little blood on a cracked part of my nipple, but when i compress, the milk looks fine. Is it possible to be passing enough blood via breastfeeding to see it in spit-up?

Glad the fluconazole is working -- that stuff is a god send for thrush!

Are you sure it's blood? Are you feeding solids at all? Could she have eaten something that wasn't food (a bit of a book, paper, fluff?) and then spit that up?

i'm not sure it's blood. but i have found blood (tiny bit) on my bra since this last post. it seems this may be the case.

also, no solids yet. strickly breast fed...

Hmm, usually a cracked nipple might make your milk a little bit pink (think about adding a drop of red food colouring to a glass of milk -- similar effect). So, the spit-up from a bleeding cracked nipple would be like normal spit-up, but pinkish. From your description, "dark reddish coloured pieces", it really sounds more like something she ingested, and probably nothing to worry about. Like your doctor said, it's the bright red blood that may be a problem.