Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One breast has better supply?

Default One breast has better supply?

Sorry for starting two threads in one day! I know there is another one about uneven supply, but I couldn't find it.

I have been dealing with oversupply and OALD since my milk came in, was block-feeding, and now the right side never seems to get full anymore. Almost every time it was time to feed, both breasts would be full with milk again and firm to the touch. Now only the left one does this, and the right one is still soft.

During letdown, the force on the left side is still great and it will spray out an ounce before slowing! But the force is greatly reduced in the right breast now, and it's letdown only shoots out in a spray for a few seconds. This, I thought, was good. but now I am questioning-

First of all, how can I tell the difference between my supply reducing to what it SHOULD be, or reducing too much? How do I know if it's at a good level now, or if it's drying up in the right side?

Secondly, if it is that the block-feeding is working, why does the left side still get engorged if the right side is leveling out? The left breast is almost always WAY bigger now! ARGH!

Thanks
    Last edited by JustSasha; October 16th, 2006 at 03:15 PM.

Default Re: One breast has better supply?

This seems to be happening to me too! Now I am paranoid that my supply is dropping. I am curious for the responses (sorry I have no answers). One other thing, it also seems like my LO is nursing less too...he gets mad when I try to feed him when he doesn't "want" it. hmmmm

Hi there

First off, I'd call "firm to the touch" engorged It sounds like you're still producing milk on that side. It can take a while to get used to the "not engorged" feeling. You may notice another change around 3-4 months when you won't feel like you have as much milk in your breasts. It's normal.

Secondly, it's also very normal for one breast to produce more than the other. Sometimes they'll even out and produce similar amounts, but most of us have a "dominant" breast that will always make more than the other one.

Keep watching that output! I know I sound like a broken record! If you're truly worried about the supply on the one side, you can try to get another nursing session or two in during the day on that side, but really, I think it's probably just that your supply is starting to settle down.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My lefty makes more that my righty.....my DD is a year old and it is still like that....perfectly normal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    First off, I'd call "firm to the touch" engorged It sounds like you're still producing milk on that side. It can take a while to get used to the "not engorged" feeling.
    I did not know that they could be soft and still full of enough milk. I've been used to being too full from the start... I guess I have a lot to learn still!

Secondly, it's also very normal for one breast to produce more than the other. Sometimes they'll even out and produce similar amounts, but most of us have a "dominant" breast that will always make more than the other one.
    TOTALLY didn't know this! I thought they would make an even supply if evenly stimulated... (kind of like I thought breastfeeding would be as simple as the baby being born and just instinctively flawlessly sucks the boob- )

Keep watching that output! I know I sound like a broken record! If you're truly worried about the supply on the one side, you can try to get another nursing session or two in during the day on that side, but really, I think it's probably just that your supply is starting to settle down.
    That seems to make more sense now that I know engorgement isn't a part of regular lactation- Haha. I still count diapers diligently and will continue to do so, especially at 3 or 4 months old- the last thing I need to do is fear my supply is dying and PUMP TOO MUCH again!!
    Last edited by JustSasha; October 16th, 2006 at 10:35 PM.

LOL, you're doing JUST FINE, Mama!

TOTALLY didn't know this! I thought they would make an even supply if evenly stimulated... (kind of like I thought breastfeeding would be as simple as the baby being born and just instinctively flawlessly sucks the boob- )
    Yep, your breasts may look the same on the surface, but they can be very different. Many mothers find that their babies will latch slightly differently to one side than the other or prefer one side over the other, too.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

Folowup question:

How lopsided is "normal"? What if one breast makes 5 ounces and the other 1 ounce if that? Is that too lopsided?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sierrachang View Post
    Folowup question:

How lopsided is "normal"? What if one breast makes 5 ounces and the other 1 ounce if that? Is that too lopsided?

Thank you!
    i don't think that's too lopsided at all...i think it's common to get much more from one breast than the other. if it's not, then i'm too lopsided!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I feel much better now, MUCH. I get 3+ oz out of the left and 1 oz out of the right... Come to think of it, she usually only takes one breast per feeding... Should I offer some of the left breast after she finishes the right?

Rusaalka, are you still pumping?

To answer your question, sure go ahead and offer her the other side if she still seems interested in nursing. But it's pretty normal for one breast to produce more than the other.

Jen