Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breasts have gotten way smaller ... normal?

Red face Breasts have gotten way smaller ... normal?

DS is almost 10 months. He is down to nursing only 4 times a day (his choice!). He is very healthy and is gaining well.

My question seems silly , but my breasts have gotten WAY smaller in the past few weeks (like down to pre-pregnancy size, or maybe even smaller), and I'm just wondering if this is normal. My nursing bras are huge on me now. I don't pump, so I don't really know if my supply has decreased or if this is just normal. Have any of you experienced this?

Thanks!

Default Re: Breasts have gotten way smaller ... normal?

It is normal for breasts to either get bigger and stay that way, or get bigger during nursing/pregnancy, then get smaller (pre-pregnancy or smaller). Breasts are mostly adipose (sorry, fat tissue) that are sometimes replaced with milk production. Once your body evens out on the supply and demand portion of breastfeeding, then your breasts even out the fat distribution. It's not uncommon for some moms to be smaller while breastfeeding, since your body's concentrated on milk production. It should all even out once through breastfeeding. That's not to say that you will be back to normal bra size though it's possible. Breasts are funny things.

Sorry, answer's more like a ramble. Hope it makes sense.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Yes, this does happen for some women. I had to go out and buy a whole bunch of new, smaller-sized bras. So I now have all these larger bras--one size from pre-pregnancy, one from immediately post-pregnancy--that I don't know what to do with. Bras are expensive and I don't want to throw them out, but I can't wear them anymore!

On another note, I started my period today (for the first time since I've given birth). I'm just wondering if my newly smaller boobs and getting my period mean that I'm not producing enough milk for my 10 month old??

counting diapars and watching babies growth is the way to know they are getting the milk they need.
    size has little to do with it.

have you been watching what you eat?

IVe found If I drop 5 lbs it seams to come all out of my boobs...

no I don't believe it means you are not producing enough milk at all.. Your body regulates and returns to normal ( or somewhat normal) even while nursing.. my period returned at 10 weeks after and my breast are back to B cups and I still have nursed this whole time.. Everyone's body is different and adjust differently but it does not mean that it is nessarily your milk production.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Thanks, ladies. So it sounds like my body is just regulating and getting back to "normal" and that I shouldn't be concerned.