Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concerns about foremilk/hindmilk - sleeper

Default Re: Concerns about foremilk/hindmilk - sleeper

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I think the definition of oversupply is that you are uncomfortable and engorged when you feed your baby on demand, so by that definition, you don't have oversupply. But you could definitely have overactive letdown (OALD) even if you never see a "spray." On the other hand, honestly, fussiness on the breast can be caused by so many different things, and OALD is only one of many possibilities. Most of the time, you never really figure out why, it just goes away on its own.
    \

Well, I hope it goes away soon because 2AM last night was a nightmare and I had a total meltdown crying because he just would NOT take my nipple - either one. Screaming on the top of his lungs every time I tried. What to do?? I tried every position. I calmed him. Tried again. Same result. Finally, after 30 minutes of this, I had to give him breastmilk in a bottle - which he took. After a few minutes of the bottle, DH suggested I burp him and put him back on the breast and I did and, wouldn't you know, he took the nipple without a fuss. I don't drink but sometimes I think this whole experience is driving me to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    I don't drink but sometimes I think this whole experience is driving me to drink.
    I hear that!

It's hard to say what would cause that - most babies eat more peacefully at night than during the day, but there are always rough nights, you know? I would definitely keep an eye out for a stuffy nose, any signs of ear infection or other sickness, or maybe even teeth? (Sorry, can't remember how old your LO is.) If it were OALD, I would imagine that your baby would nurse until first letdown, THEN CRY and pull off, and then get back on without a fuss - that is the classic OALD behavior, although of course there is a lot of variation.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I hear that!

It's hard to say what would cause that - most babies eat more peacefully at night than during the day, but there are always rough nights, you know? I would definitely keep an eye out for a stuffy nose, any signs of ear infection or other sickness, or maybe even teeth? (Sorry, can't remember how old your LO is.) If it were OALD, I would imagine that your baby would nurse until first letdown, THEN CRY and pull off, and then get back on without a fuss - that is the classic OALD behavior, although of course there is a lot of variation.
    Jax is 9 weeks old.

I should point out that, yes, he does latch and attempts to suck and then after about a minute, I see the pout and then he lets go and screams. Any attempt to relatch him is impossible because he screams when I try. He'll calm down but anytime that big boob starts to go towards his face, he scream again. This just started in the past few weeks but I've become better and more consistent with the breastfeeding over the past 3-4 weeks and I'm producing more milk because I've been nursing more and pumping for work.. I do notice that when he's nursing on my left breast, he slurps more and tends to have more milk in his mouth than when he's on the right but he fusses on both breast anyway, so I'm not sure that's it.