Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerns about foremilk/hindmilk - sleeper

Default Re: Concerns about foremilk/hindmilk - sleeper

If you just fed him it would be totally normal to get less milk out while pumping.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Seven weeks is a long time! You're just going through a growth spurt! Hang in there! Your production is adjusting to your baby's actual needs, that's all. When you're working, you're going to be pumping INSTEAD of nursing, and believe me, that is a whole different ballgame (I pumped for eight months, I know what I'm talking about! ). When you haven't nursed or pumped in three hours, you're going to get a lot more milk than when you just nursed your baby two minutes ago (and he's growing, and sucking you dry right now, which will trigger you to make more milk over the next couple days). So just HANG IN THERE, and focus on nursing your baby right now, rather than pumping. We normally don't recommend that women worry about pumping before going back to work until three or four weeks before they return to work. Enjoy your maternity leave!!!

P.S. If you always pump at the same time every day, your supply will increase to make more milk at that time. Breasts work on a daily supply/demand basis.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; November 12th, 2010 at 11:01 AM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

He's feeding about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. When would I pump in between his feedings in order to (1) insure sufficient pumping production and (2) still have enough milk to feed him shortly after I've pumped? In other words, if I just fed him at 9:00AM and need to wait a while to pump and then have to feed him again at 10:30AM-11:00AM, when should I pump? How soon after pumping will I produce enough milk to feed him again?? I'm trying to store these, not pump and feed him them immediately.

I would add ONE pumping, first thing in the morning, right after a feeding. You might not get a lot the first time, but after a week or so, the pumping will trigger your body to make more milk at that time and your supply will go up. Pumping randomly at different times of day will just confuse your body and could cause oversupply and a pump-addiction!

But like I said, you don't even have to worry about that right now! Your baby's feeding patterns, diaper output, weight gain - everything says he's doing great. And you don't need to worry about a stash for work for several weeks yet. Try to relax if you can!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Joe'sMom - Thank you for all of your encouragement. It really helps. BFing is really important to me and less important to my husband, moreso because he just wants me to be less stressed and this is stressing me out big time so he'd just as well have me use formula if it takes the pressure off of me.

I need to just relax...I know. I'm a bit of a control freak so this lack of control (and hormonal changes) is making me crazy. I'm sure many of you can relate.

P.S. I think we need to find an emoticon for pulling ones hair out....

You can feed him immediately after pumping, it just might be a slower flow than usual. Are you trying to build up a freezer stash, is that why you are pumping? Or are you still supplementing and wanting to use the pumped milk to replace the formula? Because it seems like baby is doing perfect and I think it would be fine to stop supplementing (with either formula or breastmilk) and just nurse instead.

If you are trying to build a stash I think you should wait. I would just hold off on pumping at all for now so your body can adjust to producing the exact amount of milk your baby needs. It's early days and your body is trying to figure out how much milk is needed so if possible it's best to let it adjust and then later, when your supply is more established, you can start pumping maybe once a day or add a pump in if baby sleeps through a feeding if your goal is to build a stash for when you go back to work.

ETA: joe's mom's suggestion about pumping once a day at the same time is also a good one
    Last edited by @llli*norasmommy; November 12th, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchild.az View Post
    Joe'sMom - Thank you for all of your encouragement. It really helps. BFing is really important to me and less important to my husband, moreso because he just wants me to be less stressed and this is stressing me out big time so he'd just as well have me use formula if it takes the pressure off of me.

I need to just relax...I know. I'm a bit of a control freak so this lack of control (and hormonal changes) is making me crazy. I'm sure many of you can relate.

P.S. I think we need to find an emoticon for pulling ones hair out....
    1) yes, stop stressing it sounds like everything is perfectly fine and stress can harm your milk production.

2) I understand it's hard because you want to know that you are doing everything right. YOU ARE!

3) Tell your husband the best way he can support you and help you destress is to help you succeed in breastfeeding, tell you how great you're doing, what an awesome mom you are, and get to work taking care of everything else in life (housework, visitors, cooking, etc) so you can focus on baby.

4) Your feelings are totally normal. So normal we already have one!
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    1) 3) Tell your husband the best way he can support you and help you destress is to help you succeed in breastfeeding, tell you how great you're doing, what an awesome mom you are, and get to work taking care of everything else in life (housework, visitors, cooking, etc) so you can focus on baby.

Many of us worried a lot at first, but breastfeeding gets SO MUCH EASIER, and in the long run, it's way easier and lower stress than formula feeding. You can tell your DH we said so. The investment you put into getting BF'ing sorted out now really pays off in a month or two.

You can call me JoMo!

What a difference a month and some good equipment makes! Just an update to let you know that I am back at work now and have taken alot of advice from these boards and seen great improvement in terms of supply. I've tried Mama's Milk Tea and Fenugreek supplement but see the most improvement after eating oatmeal.

I started out using the pump I received at my shower - a FirstYears dual electric pump. I was barely getting 3 oz. on BOTH breats. It was very discouraging. Then, last week I sucked it up and bought a Medela InStyle pump. What a difference! Just at lunch I pumped nearly 9 oz. in 40 minutes!

On that note, lately my little guy has been very fussy at the breast. I never "squirt" him when he lets go and I rarely see flow to suggest it, but if I can produce 9 oz. off both breasts in one sitting, could I have oversupply without realizing it?

~ Kelly

I think the definition of oversupply is that you are uncomfortable and engorged when you feed your baby on demand, so by that definition, you don't have oversupply. But you could definitely have overactive letdown (OALD) even if you never see a "spray." On the other hand, honestly, fussiness on the breast can be caused by so many different things, and OALD is only one of many possibilities. Most of the time, you never really figure out why, it just goes away on its own.

You can call me JoMo!