My new baby, Jaxson, is just 3 weeks old. I have been breastfeeding since his birth and seem to have a good latch. However, he will nurse for 5-10 minutes and fall asleep. I have several concerns:
1) That he isn't getting enough hindmilk since he seems to fall asleep so soon after he starts feeding.
2) That I am not producing enough milk since he doesn't seem to drink much before drifting off (I try to wake him by burping him but even if I relatch him in his drowsy state, he still only feeds another 5 minutes before sleeping again).
3) Since his feeding are so short, I don't even know when I've finished one breast in order to move on to the other breast. I don't think in 3 weeks I've ever drained a breast. I just switch breasts each feeding whether I've drained the breast or not. He's never eaten from both breasts at one feeding.
4) In 3 weeks, I've only felt my milk come in twice...the original let-down and one this past Tuesday when I was at a hair appointment for several hours and felt my breasts were swollen and full. Otherwise, I have never felt that so I wonder if I'm not producing enough. I mean, I'm definitely producing but never feel engorged.
It's important to point out that Jaxson was 6 lbs 10 oz at birth. At 4 days, he was 6 lbs. 2 oz. At 2 weeks, he was just 6 lbs. 4 oz. Because he had not grown much that second week, the doctor asked me to continue to breastfeed but to supplement with one bottle of formula per day. (I pump when he's having that formula so as not to deter production.) At the follow-up to that appointment this past Friday, we found that had gained 10 oz. Not sure if that's because of the formula or because he seemed to be latching better and eating more often from the breast.
After the week 2 appointment, I started a log of feeding and diaper changes. He's feeding about every 2 hours for 5-15 minutes. He seems to have a stool nearly every single time he feeds....(we were actually concerned that he was having too many stools which is why we started the log in the first place.) 6-8 stools per day. About the same amount of wet diapers as well.
I'm hoping someone can offer any advice about:
1) Keeping him awake to feed longer and insure fore/hindmilk consumption
2) Determining whether I have drained my breast - How Do I know if it's drained if he doesn't feed for more than 10-15 minutes?
3) Increasing my milk production.