Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerns about foremilk/hindmilk - sleeper

Default Concerns about foremilk/hindmilk - sleeper

My new baby, Jaxson, is just 3 weeks old. I have been breastfeeding since his birth and seem to have a good latch. However, he will nurse for 5-10 minutes and fall asleep. I have several concerns:

1) That he isn't getting enough hindmilk since he seems to fall asleep so soon after he starts feeding.
    2) That I am not producing enough milk since he doesn't seem to drink much before drifting off (I try to wake him by burping him but even if I relatch him in his drowsy state, he still only feeds another 5 minutes before sleeping again).
    3) Since his feeding are so short, I don't even know when I've finished one breast in order to move on to the other breast. I don't think in 3 weeks I've ever drained a breast. I just switch breasts each feeding whether I've drained the breast or not. He's never eaten from both breasts at one feeding.
    4) In 3 weeks, I've only felt my milk come in twice...the original let-down and one this past Tuesday when I was at a hair appointment for several hours and felt my breasts were swollen and full. Otherwise, I have never felt that so I wonder if I'm not producing enough. I mean, I'm definitely producing but never feel engorged.

It's important to point out that Jaxson was 6 lbs 10 oz at birth. At 4 days, he was 6 lbs. 2 oz. At 2 weeks, he was just 6 lbs. 4 oz. Because he had not grown much that second week, the doctor asked me to continue to breastfeed but to supplement with one bottle of formula per day. (I pump when he's having that formula so as not to deter production.) At the follow-up to that appointment this past Friday, we found that had gained 10 oz. Not sure if that's because of the formula or because he seemed to be latching better and eating more often from the breast.

After the week 2 appointment, I started a log of feeding and diaper changes. He's feeding about every 2 hours for 5-15 minutes. He seems to have a stool nearly every single time he feeds....(we were actually concerned that he was having too many stools which is why we started the log in the first place.) 6-8 stools per day. About the same amount of wet diapers as well.

I'm hoping someone can offer any advice about:

1) Keeping him awake to feed longer and insure fore/hindmilk consumption
    2) Determining whether I have drained my breast - How Do I know if it's drained if he doesn't feed for more than 10-15 minutes?
    3) Increasing my milk production.

Much appreciated.

Default Re: Concerns about foremilk/hindmilk - sleeper

I should also point out that when I pump, it takes me about 25 minutes to pump just 4 oz. of milk. Is that sufficient?

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! I think you have every reason to be pleased and feel confident about breastfeeding- everything you posted sounds very normal.

1) That he isn't getting enough hindmilk since he seems to fall asleep so soon after he starts feeding.
    What do his poops look like? As long as they are mostly yellow and seedy/curdy, he's getting plenty of hindmilk. A baby who isn't getting enough will produce stools that are consistently greenish and watery.

2) That I am not producing enough milk since he doesn't seem to drink much before drifting off (I try to wake him by burping him but even if I relatch him in his drowsy state, he still only feeds another 5 minutes before sleeping again).
    It's normal for new babies to be very sleepy. He will wake up eventually! Here are some tips on waking a dozy baby:
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-ba...m#SleepyBabies
    http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/...epy_baby.shtml

3) Since his feeding are so short, I don't even know when I've finished one breast in order to move on to the other breast. I don't think in 3 weeks I've ever drained a breast. I just switch breasts each feeding whether I've drained the breast or not. He's never eaten from both breasts at one feeding.
    It's okay not to thoroughly drain a breast. In fact, you really can't totally drain the breast because milk is being produced even as it is being removed. Allow the baby to finish the first breast at his own pace, then offer the second as dessert. As long as his weight gain and diaper output is normal, it doesn't matter if he takes the second breast or not. And if you switch "too soon"- no worries. If the baby is still hungry, just put him back on the first breast again.

4) In 3 weeks, I've only felt my milk come in twice...the original let-down and one this past Tuesday when I was at a hair appointment for several hours and felt my breasts were swollen and full. Otherwise, I have never felt that so I wonder if I'm not producing enough. I mean, I'm definitely producing but never feel engorged.
    This all sounds totally normal. Technically, milk "coming in" happens once- when your body switches from producing colostrum to producing milk. I think what's concerning you is that you're not feeling letdowns- something which is very normal. Not all moms experience them. Same with engorgement- you don't need to feel that in order to produce adequate milk. In fact, you don't want to: engorgement means you're producing extra milk, which is something you don't want to do longterm.

After the week 2 appointment, I started a log of feeding and diaper changes. He's feeding about every 2 hours for 5-15 minutes. He seems to have a stool nearly every single time he feeds....(we were actually concerned that he was having too many stools which is why we started the log in the first place.) 6-8 stools per day. About the same amount of wet diapers as well.
    This all sounds TEXTBOOK PERFECT!!! Are you still supplementing with formula? It sounds like there's no reason to still be doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchild.az View Post
    I should also point out that when I pump, it takes me about 25 minutes to pump just 4 oz. of milk. Is that sufficient?
    More than. At this point, 2-3 oz every 2-3 hours would indicate sufficient supply. And keep in mind that a baby is generally more effective at emptying the breast than the pump is, so the baby can probably get more from you than the pump can.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Is there a reason you're giving him formula instead of the milk you're pumping?

And mommal is spot on with everything! It sounds like everything is going fine.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Wow, I'm surprised....I really have been worrying about this stuff and it looks like I didn't need to be.

Jaxson's stools are, as you put it, textbook. Mustardy yellow and seedy. He just has movements so often..I changed a diaper 3 times in 20 minutes earlier today (his poops sound and feel like he set off a rocket in his diaper)...and he's very gassy. We change his diaper the minute he poops and he's still developing a rash already (we've been using butt paste on it). I know a rash can be a sign of allergies, but I have ruled that out based on the fact that he isn't vomiting and his stools are normal.

To answer the last question, I am giving him the one bottle of formula per day because the pediatrician recommended it based on his limited weight gain and after we started giving it to him, he did gain the weight he needed to gain.

So are you freezing the milk? My only question is that if you're going to supplement him with a bottle, why not the milk you are pumping? It has the same number of calories per ounce as formula.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This all sounds TEXTBOOK PERFECT!!! Are you still supplementing with formula? It sounds like there's no reason to still be doing so.
    I completely agree. Whether or not there was reason to supplement initially, it does not sound like there is any further need. Your supply sounds right on target, and his diaper output is perfect. Your breastmilk is better for him than formula, and just as fatty and likely to result in weight gain as formula - I would start nursing rather than pumping, or at least supplementing with the pumped breastmilk.

You're doing great! I would try to relax and just enjoy your new baby at this point.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Should I be concerned that I just tried to pump for the first time today (5PM) and did the first breast for 15 minutes and I didn't even get 1/4 oz. so I moved to the other breast and was barely able to get 1/2 oz?

I fed him about an hour ago and he was feeding fine. Why am I unable to get much from pumping?

What can I do to stimulate production?

Do you usually pump at 5 p.m. I have to say, when Joe was a newbie, early evening tended to be my lowest production time. Mornings were always a high supply time for me. This was made even worse when Joe would go through growth spurts, which happen every few weeks for newborns, and they tend to really love to cluster feed in the evenings for some reason.

I would say: Don't panic. Get lots of rest, eat some oatmeal and other whole grains, and try again in the morning. If you feel any hard lumps or tender spots in your breasts, massage them in a nice warm bath and then nurse your baby as much as possible. (If you don't, you're still allowed to take a nice warm bath. )

Hang in there. I'm betting you're in the 3 week growth spurt. Let your baby nurse all the time, and your supply will increase to meet his demand.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I didn't have a consistent time when I pumped over the past few weeks and I easily got 4 oz. per sitting (usually taking around 25 minutes to pump.)

I woke this morning, fed baby for about 25 minutes on both breasts (switching when he fell asleep on the first breast) and then tried to pump again. Same result. Less than 1/4 oz. in 15 minutes. The milk didn't even cover the base of the storage container.

Do I need to try a different pump?

I went to sleep very late last night (3AM) and ate oatmeal just before bed as I read that might stimulate production. I will keep eating oatmeal over the next few days to see if I see any results from that.

Either way, I'm getting discouraged by this decrease in production. I have to go back to work in 7 weeks and if this is all I'm able to pump in 30 minutes, there is no way this is going to work for us. Discussing this with my husband this morning, he tells me to just go to formula when I go back to work but I really don't want to. I'm choked up and conflicted about this as I really REALLY want to continue to breastfeed when I go back to work. If this keeps up, there is no way I will be able to nourish my baby under these circumstances and I will have to transition to formula.