Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pushy hospital staff...formula feeding

Default Re: Pushy hospital staff...formula feeding

Hi there,

I agree with PP a simple birth plan and a sign in the basinet are all you need. If they push you, re-iterate what your plans are. Remember you and your LO are patients, and you have rights as a patient. For example, if your OB orders up an epidural and you didn't ask for one . . . you don't have to take it! (Though you may be planning on one which is fine too ;-)

I would joke with my family before I had DS this July that I was going to be kicked out of the hospital. I had my baby in a hospital going for the Baby Friendly certification which made me feel great about my choice to birth there. http://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/eng/index.html They have Lactation Consultants staffed but I still can't believe how many of the Nurses wanted me to use a paci, one even told me before my milk came in that my baby must just be sucking for comfort and I should give him a paci so he didn't use me as one. That was at night, the next day I mentioned that to the Lactation Nurse and I asked about the Baby Friendly certification they're going for and how on earth offering a paci fell into that. She was pretty ticked and asked me which nurse so I'm hoping she addressed it. It was plain as day in my chart that there were no pacis, we'd be rooming in, and absolutely no supplementation.

So, make your plans clear and stick to your guns, if a nurse is driving you nuts get the charge nurse and say you want another nurse assigned to you and state why, they aren't being observant of your wishes, etc. My husband is Nurse and this happens occasionally, he made sure I knew what my rights were as a patient when we entered the hospital. He explained Nurses aren't offended by this, if a patient wants someone else they get them.

Do what you feel is right, and don't let anyone make you feel bad or try to sway you another way. Take a look at the baby friendly info and make sure your PEDI and OB/Midwife are supportive of your wishes too.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

I was a new mom who did not really know what I was doing and I had trouble with this in the hospital too. The nurses did give a bottle of sugar water and a paci before I even got out of recovery from my c-section. My dd was so tired. She latched on immediately and nursed for awhile at our first attempt but many times after it was hard to get her to eat. The nurses were constantly telling me that I could give her formula when she wouldn't eat. I would remind myself that she had plenty of nutrients to get by on and I did not cave. I too would have to remind the staff each shift that I did not want to give her any formula and they all respected it- just had to be reminded. I think that it is sad that there are so many doctors and nurses pushing formula but I try to be understanding- it is such the norm these days for people to prefer formula over BF, and they see so many bad cases from day to day, I am sure that there is some security in knowing that at least babies will have a good meal in formula at least. Sad as it is, I am sure that many hospitals and professionals are not seeing parents committed to breastfeeding very often. Just stick to your plan and everything will be okay! Congrats on your little one and it is great that you are trying to get such a good start on BFing.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

From reading all the posts here it sounds like it varies so much from hospital to hospital (and even staff within a hospital). Where I delivered the default was to have the baby room in with mom, which was great because I felt like I got more control of what was happening. Sure it was somewhat disruptive to have people in every 4 hours or whatever it was to do baby's stats but I was there for it all and figured I wouldn't be sleeping much anyways. Since I indicated that I wanted to try to breastfeed everybody was super supportive from the beginning. In addition to the lactation consultant, all the nurses were very very helpful with observing and helping correcting the first few attempts at latching on. I only had to say "no pacifier" once and didn't get asked again. We actually tried the paci once during a loooong night under the bili lights (for a little jaundice) but our smart little guy spat it right out. I didn't have anything in writing because baby came early and we weren't that organized yet, but it sounds like having baby plans is writing is a great idea.

Good luck!
    Lynn

I called the hospital I will be delivering at and one of the nurses said the only reason they would try formula was if the babies sugar was low? What is normal blood sugar for an infant and what signs indicate this problem?

I don't know about the blood sugar, but nursing would be a better way to improve baby's blood sugar than formula. That's what the colostrum/breat milk is for in the first place. Just be confident in yourself and your ability to take care of baby's needs- don't be afraid to stand up for what you know is best.

mamcat

I agree with pp about blood sugar. Colostrum is far better than formula anyday!! If babies blood sugar is low, I would recommend nurse nurse nurse (do that anyway) You will be fine! AND honestly as pp said don't be afraid to stand up for what you want!! With that said, I was already for all this confrontation with the nurses before I went into labour & turns out they were great and really supportive of BFing.

Quote Originally Posted by mamazambrano View Post
    I called the hospital I will be delivering at and one of the nurses said the only reason they would try formula was if the babies sugar was low? What is normal blood sugar for an infant and what signs indicate this problem?
    That is the exact thing that happened to me, she was big, overdue, and her sugar was low... and they did give her formula. I'm not sure what is normal, but I think Sophie's was "58" at it's lowest, then in the range of 90's when it was good.

Thomas had very low blood sugar, crying and shaking uncontrollably.... He was nursing but it was not enough, this was the time that he needed about 1-2 ounces of formula. Just about broke my heart..... No long term damage though BC he still nurses great at 17 months. The danger esp for a little baby like Thomas, 5 lbs 15 ounces at 41 weeks is that there little bodies shut down when the sugar goes too low, can be very dangerous...

Blood sugar "lows" can vary from doctor to doctor. Some consider 60 low and others will wait until 40. If your baby was big and overdue or small or you were insuln dependent diabetic or gestational diabetic your baby can (most of the time will) require food shortly after delivery. When the mother is in recovery from a c-section, the baby cannot nurse due to the situation. At that point you have three choices: 1) give the baby formula or sugar water via bottle 2) give baby formula or sugar water via NG tube (this is a tube placed in your babies nose and fed through to the stomach, food or water is then pushed into the stomach by a syringe) 3) an IV can be inserted and the baby can receive fluids with dextrose in them to bring the sugar up.

Mothers who are adamant about no bottle no paci can tell them you would prefer they use the NG tube and then there is no "nipple confusion" BUT babies HATE having tubes put down, it is uncomfortable. Some docs will say no they won't put down a tube on a healthy baby just for administration of glucose.

Just to give you a medical perspective!

I was able to nurse my baby in the RR right after my ceseran? It was with in the first 30 min??