Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pushy hospital staff...formula feeding

Default Pushy hospital staff...formula feeding

How soon must a newborn be fed after delivery?

If the baby is spitting up the mothers breast milk after two-three attempts to feed should formula be given?

This situation came up a couple months back with a family member of mine who intended on breastfeeding and was told by the hospital nursing staff that she must give the baby formula. The little one did keep the formula down.

What can be done in this situation?

I am very fearful that pushy hospital staff will harass me into doing things with my baby I don’t want for my child.

Thanks

Default Re: Pushy hospital staff...formula feeding

I would suggest that if you are planning to breast feed your baby, you make it extremely clear as soon as you get to the hospital-I fed my daughter within the first 30 minutes of birth. I also let all the nurses know to NOT give her a pacifier, so no nipple confusion.

The hospital staff cannot make you give your baby formula. My son had a very hard time with breastfeeding the first few days-I spent 3 days in hospital with him, and ended up using a nipple shield-come to find out, they had given him a pacifier before I was even able to breastfeed, and he preferred that.

Be clear about waht you want to all the staff, and go visit the hospital before delivery to get a feel for the way that they do things.

I'm not sure if this would help at all, but I would contact the hospital to see if they have a lactation consultant "on call" (so to speak), or even contact one before you deliver. That way, if any questions/problems arise, you can go directly to her and only deal with her. It can be scary when you have someone in the hospital telling you that you have to feed your baby formula, because it's natural to assume that they know what they're talking about (especially with your first baby). Also, if you can, avoid sending your baby to the nursery if you don't have to. It might be tough, though. I had to send Isabelle to the nursery, because DH and I had been up for 36 hours, and I was afraid I was going to drop her. I think they might've given her a pacifier or a bottle, but I'm not sure. I wasn't too concerned about it, because I didn't know much about BF.

It's so strange to me when I hear stories like this. I was present for the birth of all 3 of my younger siblings, as well as the birth of my daughter, and the nurses never pushed bottle-feeding for any one of them. It's so sad when people are unsupportive of a mother's intentions to do what she thinks is best for her baby. I wish you luck and hope that you don't have to deal with that.

I am a big advocate of having a birth plan. If you have it in writing and present it to the staff when you get there it is much harder for the staff to do somethign you are not interested in - be that formula, pacifiers, anything,

Good luck!! Good for you for thinking about this now!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Well... I made it very clear that I as going to breastfeed, but all of my plans were lost if I had forgotten to tell the new shift what I planned to do. (And over my hospital stay, I saw MANY changes of shifts.)

I was in labor for two days before finally getting a c-section (I really wanted a natural birth, boo) and they fed my baby formula while I was in recovery anyways. Even my fiance was an advocate for my plans to exclusively breastfeed, but "since I was overdue and the baby was so big, we needed to supplement formula until my milk came in."

I was severely disappointed with the staff but after 5 days, I had my milk and cut thatstinky formula from her diet completely. The only advice I can really give is to be absoultely clear that whomever is handling your baby out of your sight, knows that it should NOT recieve any formula.

Good luck and congrats!

Thank you ladies for the helpful relpiles. I so glad that I found La Leche League.

I saw your in ohio.. neat! were are you from?
    you can pm if you want. I'm north east. lol
    anyways.. keep your baby with you, you don't have to send them to the nursery at all if you don't want.

Oh, and you can post a little sign on their bassinet! This will help!!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I was told to have my Dr. write it in the birth plan and make a "DR. order" for NO formula/moms BM only. I never did it because the hopsital where I had my children and well know for it's support in BFing and I delivered all 4 times there. Good luck and just keep reminding staff (EVERYONE of them) when you get to the hospital that your baby is to be BF ONLY.

A sign is a really good idea! And make sure you are able to BF as soon as possible after delivery. Don't worry if it doesn't go that well, just the skin to skin is great. Also, I was told before I had my LO that most babies don't come out starving, they have not needed to eat for nine months and have enough fat stores to get them by for a while (an hour or 2). But keep attempting and trust me he/she WILL eat!!lol. ALso, babies have teeny tiny tummy's so they do not need formula. I was told if God wanted your baby to eat milk right away, it wouldn't take 4-5 days for your milk to come in...made sense to me! Colostrum is a wonderful thing and just the perfect thing for those tiny tummys (and very nutritious) yum yum. GOod luck and don't worry to much...have a birth plan and find out if hospital has a LC as mentioned by pp.