Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I WANT my nipple back!!

Default I WANT my nipple back!!

I feel like I'm going to lose it. I'm an emotional disaster right now. (8 weeks pregnant and hormones in full force)

I'm nursing my 19 month old. ALL.THE.TIME. I'm hurting. I'm sore. I'm BURNT OUT.

We are up all night long. I feel like if he isn't attached to my boob, he isn't sleeping. This isn't normal is it? Of course, I "created it" by letting him do it for so long...as my DH says. I don't know what to do. I tried to make him stick it out till at least midnight a couple of nights ago. He cried for about 10 minutes (we cosleep) and feel back asleep. The next night I gave it to him.

I can't nap with him during the day because he wakes up after about 45 minutes (just when I'm falling asleep) to nurse back to sleep.

I feel like I'm losing my mind. Where the heck do I even start to break this?

I NEED a break before this next baby comes.
    Emily~ nursing my 19 mo old baby boy with baby #2 due June of 2011!

Default Re: I WANT my nipple back!!

Emily, I totally understand where you're coming from! Can DH take over night wakings?

You didn't create this by the way. You have just been responding to your little baby when he needs you.

I was a couple months pregnant when Lilah was that age and she was/is/wants to be an around the clock nurser. We had DH start doing bed time so I wasn't nursing her to sleep anymore. Then after about 6 weeks DH started taking over at night. She actually started STTN most nights when DH started taking over! She'll wake up once or twice a night about half the time and he gives her a drink of water or sleeps in her bed with her if she needs that. But with surprisingly few tears, she has accepted Daddy as her night time parent.

Could you try something like that?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Nora was that exact age and I was pregnant when I night weaned her. I used the Jay Gordon method and it worked for us. I took longer than his time line, but it worked.

I'm sorry you're feeling burnt out. It happens to everyone and you did not create this problem. You've done nothing but what you think is the best for your little man.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you.

I say nipple (singular) because he's only been nursing on one side for like 7 months? So the poor thing gets no break. Seriously though, it's not like I can switch sides if I'm too sore to get some relief. Well, I've tried in the middle of the night but it hurts for some reason. Not sure why.

And I say I want it back because I feel like I can't get it AWAY from him now. I don't know if my milk supply is decreasing so he is nursing longer or sucking harder... but it's impossible to pull my nipple out of his mouth when he is sleeping. His teeth rub against it, too. And then it hurts when I finally get it out because it's rubbed against his teeth the whole way out.

I WISH I could have DH help me out at night, but unfortunately I'm a one man show most of the time. He travels for work and is only home 10-15 days a month. It's just not consistent enough for him to help, you know?

I've been hoping that when my milk dries up from being pregnant, he'll just wean naturally. But, I'm afraid that isn't going to happen. I'm afraid he'll still comfort nurse all through the night.

I'll check out the Jay Gordon method.

Thanks for the support.

It may still happen, mine dried up right around 20 weeks and Nora weaned pretty rapidly after that- there was the active night weaning and part gentle encouragement and distraction during the day, part her dropping nursing sessions on her own.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Good to know, Paige... thanks!

I've been slowly limiting my 27 mo (also preg with sore nipples) and he has screamed bloody terror the whole way. I don't know how far along you are but I have noticed that I'm significantly less sore now that I'm finished with the first trimester. Hope it gets better for you!
    SAHM to Timothy 8-8-08 Keegan 4-27-11 and Rowen 3-27-13