Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of Questions about my almost 14MO

Default Lots of Questions about my almost 14MO

I know I've not been on here much lately but I feel like questions have been piling up and I really need some encouragement and some BTDTs.

1. DD2 has never ever nursed just for comfort. The closest to this is when she nurses at night and will fall asleep on the breast. I do think she likes nursing because she will ask for it a few times a day, but more like just to make sure the girls are still there, not to really drink very much. I feel like I'm missing out a bit on comforting her with nursing the way I could with DD1. Did anyone esle experience this and does it change as they get older or is this just going to be the extent of it with us? I just remember especially times when DD1 was sick, nursing was a life-saver for us and I'm not feeling that way with DD2.

2. This has a bit to do with #1, but since about 9MO, I'd say she has reversed cycled in that she definitely nurses for longer and seems to get good "feeds" in for her night-wakings. This has really made me not want to night wean her. I'm afraid if I do, she will just be too distracted or just not care enough during the day to make up the calories. If I do night-wean her is she likely to nurse more during the day or should I wait until she is a less distracted nurser?

3. She hates cow's milk. I want her to like it because I do think I will start weaning her around 15-18 months. I want her to get the fat. She does eat cheese, but doesn't like being fed very much and this is the only way I can see to get her to eat yogurt. Would it be just terrible of me to put a spoon ful of ice cream (like Bryers) in her milk and then slowly decrease it until she can drink it without it? I don't think I'd do this until I really feel like we are starting to wean.

4. I went to offer to nurse her this morning and she literally spat at me. Should I stop offering her and just let her ask? I think because she does not drink regular milk, I offer a lot and most of the time she rejects.

I'd say during the day she truly nurses (like waits for the let-down, drinks for a bit and then drinks a bit fromt he other side) maybe twice. Most other times than that either she'll ask and then just take a few sucks and be done or I'll offer and either she'll completely reject or just take a few sucks and be done. Okay, sorry this is so long!! I really thought I'd stop worrying once she was over a year old, but in a way I think I'm worrying more.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: Lots of Questions about my almost 14MO

On #1 - I just think she's a different kid. It would be nice to have that bond, but I'm sure you can do it in other ways that don't involve nursing.

Nightweaning may or may not increase daytime nursing. She seems to be busy during the day so it's up to you. How often does she nurse at night?

Why the push to cow's milk? And if you have to add ice cream (extra sugar) to get her to like it, my gut reaction is to disagree. If she's eating cheese and you're still nursing when she asks, I don't see the necessity for cow's milk. Does she not like yogurt at all?

If she refuses when you offer, just wait for her to ask. Is her weight good? Solid intake good?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    3. She hates cow's milk. I want her to like it because I do think I will start weaning her around 15-18 months. I want her to get the fat. She does eat cheese, but doesn't like being fed very much and this is the only way I can see to get her to eat yogurt. Would it be just terrible of me to put a spoon ful of ice cream (like Bryers) in her milk and then slowly decrease it until she can drink it without it? I don't think I'd do this until I really feel like we are starting to wean.
    Ryan was just like this. He HATES cows milk, but I wanted him to have the fat, like you. What I have found to work the best is to add it to orange juice. I know OJ has a lot of sugar, but I buy Simply Orange, with added calcium, so at least it is just OJ and natural sugar, not added sugar. Anyhow, I started with nearly all OJ and a *splash* of milk, barely any in there at all. I know it sounds gross, but it really just tastes like the orange creamsicle popsicles. I also put it in a cup with a lid that was not see through, cause the mild does make it look a little creamy and I didn't want that to influence him. I have slowly increased the amount of milk. Now, we are up to about half milk, half OJ. I only make about 1/4 to 1/2 glass at a time. If it does sit too long (a day or so, we refridgerate what he doesn't drink) it will separate and start to curdle.

I, personally, would not add the ice cream. I tried a lot of things (short of strawberry or chocolate syrup), and the OJ worked the best. I also try to add milk to smoothies and he eats lots of cheese, frozen gogurts and regular yogurt.

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    On #1 - I just think she's a different kid. It would be nice to have that bond, but I'm sure you can do it in other ways that don't involve nursing.

Nightweaning may or may not increase daytime nursing. She seems to be busy during the day so it's up to you. How often does she nurse at night?

Why the push to cow's milk? And if you have to add ice cream (extra sugar) to get her to like it, my gut reaction is to disagree. If she's eating cheese and you're still nursing when she asks, I don't see the necessity for cow's milk. Does she not like yogurt at all?

If she refuses when you offer, just wait for her to ask. Is her weight good? Solid intake good?
    Her weight is good...she does continue to drop a bit on the charts at each visit, but is very healthy looking and actually a lot bigger than DD1 was at her age. I know, I don't like the idea of adding the ice cream (it was my mom's suggestion) but when I think about it and other things I've heard about ice cream being just as good as "toddler forumlas" it made me think, why not? She does like yogurt, but again, only sweetened (sometimes I sweeten it with jam, other times mashed banana) so it also made me think, what's the difference between offering her sweetened yogurt or sweetened milk... she also doesn't like being spoon-fed very much, so she doesn't eat a whole lot at once.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*henrys.mama View Post
    Ryan was just like this. He HATES cows milk, but I wanted him to have the fat, like you. What I have found to work the best is to add it to orange juice. I know OJ has a lot of sugar, but I buy Simply Orange, with added calcium, so at least it is just OJ and natural sugar, not added sugar. Anyhow, I started with nearly all OJ and a *splash* of milk, barely any in there at all. I know it sounds gross, but it really just tastes like the orange creamsicle popsicles. I also put it in a cup with a lid that was not see through, cause the mild does make it look a little creamy and I didn't want that to influence him. I have slowly increased the amount of milk. Now, we are up to about half milk, half OJ. I only make about 1/4 to 1/2 glass at a time. If it does sit too long (a day or so, we refridgerate what he doesn't drink) it will separate and start to curdle.

I, personally, would not add the ice cream. I tried a lot of things (short of strawberry or chocolate syrup), and the OJ worked the best. I also try to add milk to smoothies and he eats lots of cheese, frozen gogurts and regular yogurt.
    Thanks for all of these suggestions! OJ would probably be cheaper and would be more natural sugar than ice cream. Also, great idea on the smoothies...I made a lot during the summer, but it's one of those things I forget about.

Have you tried giving her the yogurt and the spoon? And see if she gets more in her mouth?

Also, I wouldn't consider adding mashed banana to plain yogurt as really sweetening it, at least compared with ice cream.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you tried giving her the yogurt and the spoon? And see if she gets more in her mouth?

Also, I wouldn't consider adding mashed banana to plain yogurt as really sweetening it, at least compared with ice cream.
    I have not tried just letting her have at the yogurt...I'm not sure if I'm brave enough for that mess, but I could give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    I have not tried just letting her have at the yogurt...I'm not sure if I'm brave enough for that mess, but I could give it a try
    Try just scooping a little out and into a different bowl, then give her the spoon. Then if she eats it all, you can give her more. And if she spills it, its only a small mess. I still do that with Ryan. A whole thing of yogurt is a recipe for a mess.

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*henrys.mama View Post
    Try just scooping a little out and into a different bowl, then give her the spoon. Then if she eats it all, you can give her more. And if she spills it, its only a small mess. I still do that with Ryan. A whole thing of yogurt is a recipe for a mess.
    Good idea

Lilah didn't start eating a very big quantity of solid foods until we let her handle it herself. And it can be a mess.

Try it right before bathtime. Yogurt washes off really easily.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

breastmilk has more calories than whole milk....

My dd is about that age and I buy whole fat plain yogurt and add frozen juice concentrate (orange is my fav.) to it... that way it is not sweetened with sugar, but she isn't very picky and eats it plain too. cheese is a good one too, I offer fruit before though because I don't want her to get constipated. the best you can do is offer healthy foods and she will choose how much she wants to eat. basically if it get thrown on the floor I figure my LO is done!

Good Luck Momma
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep