Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergy or OS/OALD

Default Allergy or OS/OALD

I apologize for being another post about green poop but I have spent hours reading forums here and nothing seems to be working!

My LO is 8 weeks today. For about 3 weeks now she’s had green mucous stools and has had 8 bloody stools over that period of time. There are only tiny streaks of blood in the stools and they are usually at least 24 hours apart if not more. Tonight was the first time they were back to back. She also has foamy stools too.

I’ve been off dairy for 2 weeks and have been trying to avoid soy though I’ve had a few slip –ups with soy (it’s in everything!). I’ve read all the forums that say it can take 6 weeks to clear out of mom and baby’s systems but I’m losing confidence in the dairy/soy intolerance diagnosis. Just these 2 weeks of seeing green diaper after green diaper is driving me mad!

I thought my problem was oversupply/oald and have been block-feeding and taking my baby off during let down but it doesn’t seem to be helping. I’ve tried cutting strawberries and chocolate out of my diet for a few days also. I stopped eating sugar to see if that would help adjust the level of lactose in my milk too.

With my first baby, she occasionally got mucous/blood but it usually seemed to be after a growth spurt. My baby isn’t fussy, sleeps well, gains weight etc. but I am so frustrated with all the changes I've made not bringing any improvements!

So, if anyone feels like helping me… my questions are:

-Should I be seeing improvements (even minor ones) from cutting out dairy and soy?

-Should I be seeing improvements from block-feeding and correcting oald?

-Can a slip up in diet cause consistent green mucous stools with the occasional bloody stool for this long?

-Can baby have these symptoms from not getting enough fat or nutrients in the breastmilk? Should I be eating more fatty things? (I’ve been adding canola and olive oil to stuff, eating avocados, peanut butter, fries (thank you chick fil a!), potato chips, nuts but can’t seem to consume as much fat as I did on dairy/soy). With my first I ate and ate and ate and still lost more weight than I gained while pregnant. I'm worried this baby isn't getting enough fat in my milk since i've cut out so much.

-Should I try eliminating more things from my diet like beef? Would an elimination diet be the next logical step?

-Has anyone seen improvements by using a probiotic and if so what kind is safe?

-And lastly, could a Lactation Consultant help me with these issues? (pedi isn’t too helpful)

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by @llli*nightingale; November 9th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.

Default Re: Allergy or OS/OALD

Welcome! It was a good idea to post in 2 places, so don't worry about that.

First of all, some reassurance: If the baby is generally happy, healthy, and growing, I would not be overly concerned. It can be really hard to separate out allergy/intolerance from OALD/oversupply, so it may take some time to get this figured out. But with a happy, healthy baby, you have the time, YKWIM?

How bloody are your baby's poops- is it just streaks/spots or are you ever seeing more substantial amounts of blood? And is the blood bright red, or is it brownish/blackish, as if it has been digested?

Do you see any additional OS/OALD symptoms, like fast letdowns, rapid feedings, baby pulling off the breast during letdowns, milk squirting/streaming from the breast when baby pulls off? And let's say you were to pump- how much milk do you think you could get? (Pumping is not a reliable gauge of how much milk you have, but if you could get a large amount of milk pretty quickly that would help point towards OS/OALD.)

-Should I be seeing improvements (even minor ones) from cutting out dairy and soy?
    If the culprit is dairy and soy... Then maybe? It depends how thoroughly you've cut them out and how sensitive your baby's response to them is.

-Should I be seeing improvements from block-feeding and correcting oald?
    Again, it depends. In my experience, treating oversupply is a 2 steps forward, 1 step back process. I'd think I was making progress, only to see a whole bunch of green, mucus-y stools and blood streaks all over again. Frustrating!

-Can a slip up in diet cause consistent green mucous stools with the occasional bloody stool for this long?
    Another "it depends." Is the cause an allergy/intolerance? Are you eliminating the right things? How sensitive is the baby? How complete is the elimination? etc.

-Can baby have these symptoms from not getting enough fat or nutrients in the breastmilk? Should I be eating more fatty things? (I’ve been adding canola and olive oil to stuff, eating avocados, peanut butter, fries (thank you chick fil a!), potato chips, nuts but can’t seem to consume as much fat as I did on dairy/soy). With my first I ate and ate and ate and still lost more weight than I gained while pregnant. I'm worried this baby isn't getting enough fat in my milk since i've cut out so much.
    I have yet to find anything suggesting that consistently green stools in a happy, healthy, growing baby are an indication of "low nutrient" breastmilk. Breastmilk is actually remarkably consistent in composition from mom to mom, and even poorly-nourished women create good milk. So I wouldn't worry about your diet. Remember, it's totally normal to lose weight while nursing- that's why we gain weight during pregnancy and generally carry more fat than other mammals.

-Should I try eliminating more things from my diet like beef? Would an elimination diet be the next logical step?
    It would not hurt to cut out beef. And watch out for what things are fried in- like those Chik-fil-A fries- they could be fried in beef tallow... I think Burger King's used to be until they realized just how many devout Hindus were appalled by what they had consumed...

And as for the elimination diet- I'm not sure it's the next logical step, but again, it's not something that would hurt to try.

-Has anyone seen improvements by using a probiotic and if so what kind is safe?
    I have a friend whose kid is very dairy-sensitive, and she swears by a daily probiotic as the thing that allows her little girl to eat limited quantities of dairy.

-And lastly, could a Lactation Consultant help me with these issues? (pedi isn’t too helpful)
    Yes, a LC could definitely help out, particularly with figuring out if this is more suggestive of an allergy/intolerance or OS/OALD. I suggest going to see one who is an IBCLC- they tend to have the best training.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Allergy or OS/OALD

My DS (3 months) is experiencing something similar and I'm still not sure if it's allergy or OS/OALD. I'm suspecting though that it's either completely allergy or a combination since I really don't think I have a big oversupply like I've heard others describe. I've been doing block feeding though, and he saw a pediatric GI recommended by the lactation consultant I was working with about the green/bloody poop issue (he was having green with small flecks of red blood). The GI is extremely supportive of breastfeeding and recommended the Elimination Diet and probiotics. So, I'm doing the elimination thing http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041200.asp and he's on BioGaia probiotics which is what the lactation consultant recommended (most pharmacies carry these refrigerated behind the counter). I'm on like day 4 of the elimination diet, and I have to say I've seen improvement. He's had a couple of green poops, but many are more yellow again and today we finally had a yellow with curds (not watery like they had been). I personally think the diet, probiotics and block feeding have all served combined to help.

The diet's not easy, but I don't mind too much yet. I, too, have lost too much weight since giving birth, and the diet is not exactly high in fat for the two beginning weeks. But when I start getting to add things in, I'm going to start with avocado and bananas to up my fat and natural sugar intake to hopefully put on some weight (not because I think it will increase my quality of milk just because my weight loss could end up impacting my supply and it's definitely impacting my energy level!) Anyway, the GI said to certainly add things in but to not try to add in milk or soy at all until he's well established on solids and to be careful avoid adding in nuts too -- also wait a long while for wheat and citrus.

I'm certainly no expert but just wanted to share what I'm doing...GOOD LUCK -- I know how frustrating this is...I dread opening a diaper and seeing green poop and blood flecks, but I think we're on our way to solving the problem!