Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nighttime feeding problem

Default nighttime feeding problem

hi, I'm a first time mom and I am having problems at night. The only way I can keep my little one asleep is if I feed him in bed. Then if I try to move him to his crib he wakes up and won't go back to sleep. He falls asleep latched on and I try to wait untill he releases to put him to bed, but by that time I am asleep too. Is this going to cause problems later if he continues to sleep in the bed? I have heard that you are not supposed to let your baby sleep in the bed. Any advice?

Default Re: nighttime feeding problem

You will get lots of conflicting reports on keeping the baby in your bed, however here you can rest assured (excuse the pun ) that you will be supported and even encourage to co-sleep. There are schools of thought that believe co-sleeping is actually better for the baby, creating a more secure child as well as healthier for breathing and decreases the risk of SIDS. Not to mention it helps a breastfeeding mom get some sleep and still be able to handle the constant night feedings.

Check out these sites:

Askdrsears.com
    Kellymom.com

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much for the response. I have read some of the things on the sites you posted. I feel very reassured now. I do feel better when he is sleeping next to me and we do get more sleep this way.
    thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by krista View Post
    Thank you so much for the response. I have read some of the things on the sites you posted. I feel very reassured now. I do feel better when he is sleeping next to me and we do get more sleep this way.
    thank you again.

You're welcome! All the "expert" advice aside, I say do whatever works. Having a baby is hard work and as long as no one is in danger, which is rarely the case if it feels right, then go with your instincts. Sleep is one of the most important things right now, and I know I personally take it whenever I can get it!

I say that whatever works for you and your baby, do it. I had to co-sleep with my daughter until the last few weeks, and she suddenly started being okay with the crib. However, if I'm tired in teh middle of the night and she wakes up, she gets popped into bed with me and we both go back to sleep!!!

My dd is in her own crib at night unless i am tired then she gets in my bed but my son is in my bed also lol he has always slept in my bed and i like it better with my hubby being away so much cause of the military i like having my kids in my room with me i feeel safer. (the crib is right next to my bed )