Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Positions?

Default Breastfeeding Positions?

I just had my daughter on February 6th via c-section. The LC in the hospital showed me the football hold. However, during the night its becoming not so comfortable due to me be so tired. What other positions can I try? I am large breasted (42F).

Default Re: Breastfeeding Positions?

We love the laying down position. This is great for mom's who've had a c-section. Carefully roll to one side and cover your abdomin with a folded towel or rolled up blanket to protect you from the baby's kicking. Flex your legs and place a pillow between them for more support and less strain on your stomach muscles. LEan back in to the pillows behind your back. You may need your dh to help you position the paby on his side facing you so you are chest to chest. Baby's head may need to rest on your arm or a rolled up blanke to bring his mouth up to the level of your nipple. In this position the baby should be able to latch on well. Good luck and I hope this helps. COngrats on the new baby!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Hi, Kat! Congrats on your new arrival!

This webpage shows some of the different nursing positions:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html
    Here's another:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep00p63.html

And here's some information specific to large-breasted mothers:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...yJun89p35.html

Here's a quote from the above resource:
    Although large-breasted women often have more difficulty positioning their babies at the breast while sitting up, nursing lying down is sometimes easier for them than it is for small-breasted women. In the traditional lying-down position, the mother lies on her side with a pillow under her head. She positions the baby on his side with his mouth in line with her nipple. While a small-breasted mother may need to place her arm under the baby's head to bring the baby's mouth up to her nipple level, a large-breasted mother may or may not need to do this. Her breast may rest on the mattress with her nipple low enough for the baby to grasp easily. Once the baby has latched on properly, placing pillows behind his back will help support him while nursing.

Hi there and congrats on your wee one. I also had a cesction, How are you feeling from the section? I found that I used my bobby a lot in the night. I would sit up in the bed and use the bobby to support ds, make sure that you use lots of pillows to support your back. As ds got older I would lay down and nurse him and that worked great also!

Congratulations on the new baby! I had a c-section back in May when my DD was born. I found that the lying down position was easiest, especially at night. When I couldn't lay down, I piled pillows up on my lap to sit the baby on to support her and avoid pressure on the incision. I also found the nursing pillow available from this site: http://www.littlebeam.com to be really nice--better than the Boppy I had. It's a little kidney-bean shaped pillow that you can use from different angles for different holds. It's a little firmer than the boppy, so I found it protected my incision better. I also used it when lying down to cover my incision so DD wouldn't kick at it.

Also had a c-section on 12/15/05 - My Brest Friend, a nursing pillow was a big help. I don't have large breasts, but I could never get the football hold. My dd is 10 weeks old today and we've mastered bf and positions. I am not using the pillow anymore. If you are interested in it, I will give it to you (no charge). It will be mailed from New Orleans, LA....it was purchased after Katrina...
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I used the my brest friend pillow earlier this week at a LC meeting. I loved it. I am going to pick up a used one at a consignment store. A local store has one available.