Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lansinoh bags spoiling milk!!!!

Default Re: Lansinoh bags spoiling milk!!!!

There was a lot of confusing replies but I will answer what I can and see if you have any ideas.

I have thought about the lipase side of it but I can store my EBM in the fridge for days and not have the spoiled/vomit smell taste. But when I store it in the freezer for longer than 2 weeks, it is spoiled in the bags but not the drop-ins.

Lipase is a freezer issue. It doesn't usually affect refrigerated milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Lipase is a freezer issue. It doesn't usually affect refrigerated milk.
    Paige, the lipase enzyme in my milk seemed to be immediately activated upon freezing or being stored in the fridge for more than about 2 days. So I could use the milk I pumped yesterday today, but Thursday's milk (had I realized it at the time) should have been scalded before either storing in the fridge until Monday or freezing.

OP - that is so weird about it being fine in the drop ins in the freezer but not the Lansinoh storage bags. If your baby doesn't mind, I wouldn't worry about it. The milk hasn't gone bad, it has just started to partially digest itself. The taste is more the problem, if it's a problem for the baby.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

She does not like it when it tastes like that, she refuses it at daycare, so unfortunatly it does cause a problem.....I think it also flares up her reflux as well.

So, question about scalding. If say, the milk I have to pump at work is cooled by the time I get home, can I still scald it and then freeze it, or can you only scald milk that is still warm or at room temp?

I think you can. I only figured it out when Lilah was 11 months that I had that problem. I knew that it smelled funny but never had the guts to taste it until then - and that was probably why she refused bottles...

Anyway, there is a sticky in the Milk Storage thread that talks about scalding the milk. My plan with this baby is to do exactly what you said - scald the milk when I get home from work, if I need to.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I was just reading through that thread.

Does anyone use the bottle warmer method still? I have that at home and that would be so much easier than a pot and pan!

So I attempted scalding 5oz of EBM yesterday in my bottle warmer. I don't know how it went. I had to do two cycles of warming to get the BM to 150 degrees. After it cooled a bit, it smelled a little like vomit, but I tasted it and it was OK, not perfect tasting. I went ahead and stored half in a Lansinoh bag and the other half in the drop-in and put it in the freezer. In 2 weeks I will see what the results are.

I am going to try a 2nd test and scald the BM in a pot today and do the same test.