Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lansinoh bags spoiling milk!!!!

Default Lansinoh bags spoiling milk!!!!

I store my pujmped milk into the Lansinoh bags as well as the playtex drop-ins. I have found that 8 out of 10 of the Lansinoh bagged milk is spoiled....it smells like vomit and tastes like vomit. But this does not happen with the drop-ins.

Has anyone else had this problem? They are not leaking and I use the bags directly after pumping, so there is no temp flucuations.

Default Re: Lansinoh bags spoiling milk!!!!

hmm, if they are stored correctly I can't imagine why physically the bag would cause spoiling?. I have frozen my milk in ice cube trays and had no spoiling so you're thinking it's a chemical reaction to the bags? maybe someone can chime in with some answers
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    hmm, if they are stored correctly I can't imagine why physically the bag would cause spoiling?. I have frozen my milk in ice cube trays and had no spoiling so you're thinking it's a chemical reaction to the bags? maybe someone can chime in with some answers
    Yeah, a possible chemical reaction is my thinking. Although, I thought that all these bags were made from basically the same material....but probably different ratios.

Nope. I bet it's lipase. My milk did the same thing when frozen - regardless of what it was frozen in. The same thing happened after about 5 days in the fridge.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

So far I have only frozen my milk in Lanisoh bags and have not had this issue at all. We have used milk over 3 mos old with no issue, and I've used probably 40 individual bags of frozen milk total since I started freezing. However, I am maybe weird in that I think ALL my BM tastes disgusting like soap, even when totally fresh. Luckily my daughter does not agree, we let her be the judge of whether it has spoiled and so far she says no.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

So you're saying that you just stored it for a short time in the Lansinoh bag and then used it in a bottle? For the same length of time that you had it stored in the drop ins?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    So far I have only frozen my milk in Lanisoh bags and have not had this issue at all. We have used milk over 3 mos old with no issue, and I've used probably 40 individual bags of frozen milk total since I started freezing. However, I am maybe weird in that I think ALL my BM tastes disgusting like soap, even when totally fresh. Luckily my daughter does not agree, we let her be the judge of whether it has spoiled and so far she says no.
    I'm not sure what the soapy taste is, but I know that my milk tasted like vomit/partially digested milk after a few days in the fridge and then immediately upon being frozen, no matter what it was frozen in or how long it had been frozen.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Who knows. I hate milk pretty much as a rule, but was saddened when I tasted my own just how icky I thought it was even fresh. But my DH doesn't think it tastes bad, and LO so far hasn't led me to believe I have excessive lipase, or at least more than she's willing to deal with.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I'm not sure what the soapy taste is, but I know that my milk tasted like vomit/partially digested milk after a few days in the fridge and then immediately upon being frozen, no matter what it was frozen in or how long it had been frozen.
    sounds possibly like excess lipase

if baby takes the EBM its not an issue

if baby is rejecting the EBM, then the problem can be fixed by scalding the EBM

unfortunately, there is no way to "fix" EBM after its been lipased and already smells / tastes bad
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    sounds possibly like excess lipase
    I know. I just meant that mine never tasted soapy, so I'm not sure what that would taste like. Mine always tasted like vomit.
    Tracie

Mommy to