Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBF until 12 months old or longer

Smile EBF until 12 months old or longer

Hi. My baby girl is 5 months old and she is EBF. She has never had a bottle... I love to bf and want to EBF her until she is at least 12 months or more... I've read some forums and have done research and some websites say that if a baby has a higher chance of allergies that you should EBF until 1 year. My husband has an extreme nut allergy and when he was a baby he was allergic to alot of things. Even if my baby doesn't have any allergies I still want to EBF until she is at least 12 months. I feel that BFing is the best for her and I love it!!! Once she is 12 months or so I would like to start to incorporate some fruits and veggies that I will grind up and I will make her fresh juice with my Omega Juicer. (I just got this Juicer and LOVE it!!! ) Some people have told me that babies need to start eating meat at 6 months because Breastmilk doesn't have enough protein or iron when your baby is 6 months... I found online that Breastmilk has alot of protein and that the iron that is in Breastmilk isn't a ton but it is absorbed alot more than iron in formula and cows milk. I just wanted to know if there are any other moms out there who want to EBF until at least 12 months or have done this and have any advice for me. Thanks!!!

Default Re: EBF until 12 months old or longer

Newer research has shown that delaying introduction of certain foods may actually promote allergies. But it's still up in the air, so I wouldn't base my decision on that alone.

I can say that as a mother who was forced to stop all solid foods for several months I don't see the appeal. I know there are maybe one or two moms here who did it by choice and many more who did it because their babies just weren't interested in solids, and as long as you are nursing plenty and baby's iron levels are good there's no harm in it. But it's a harder path to take IMO and just like I would caution someone not to voluntarily choose to pump and exclusively bottle feed I feel like I should caution you not to choose not to introduce solid foods until an arbitrary age level that you randomly determine. Which is basically what you are doing.

My opinion is that parents are generally too hung up on dates and deadlines and that watching your baby to see where s/he is at developmentally is the best way to go. Kellymom has some great info on how to tell if your baby is developmentally ready for solids. Even if you do choose not to give any solid foods until 12 months, I would not then start with juices and purees. A normal 12 month old is quite developmentally capable of eating most table foods. While I'd still start with softer foods because baby won't know how to chew or swallow solids I would think the baby led solids approach would work best if you were starting that late.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I think the best thing is to take your cues from your baby. She'll let you know when she really wants to eat some solids - by ripping them off of your plate/fork or out of your mouth! Until then, breastfeeding gives her everything she needs, but when that time comes, I would be open to letting your daughter tell you that she's ready. I think babies know what's good for them, and what they are ready for, in terms of food, and the trick is learning to trust their instincts.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Smile Re: EBF until 12 months old or longer

Did your babies let you know they were ready for solids?? Did they have teeth when you started solids? Thanks for the info and the posts!!

P.S. I use cloth diapers too!! I use Rumparooz and love them!!

Yes. I tried to start Joe on solids around six months, and he HATED spoons, purees, and the whole deal. No way. This persisted for months, and I worried about him a ton (I'm a first time mom! I can't help myself!), even though my mom kept saying, "When he's ready, he'll eat!"

Sure enough, at around ten months, boom. He started "begging" for food everytime he saw it. By that time, he had a mouth full of teeth and could eat whatever he wanted. Now I wish I had just chilled out about the "proper time to introduce solids" and just taken his lead. He's a great eater now.

I'm sure other moms will chime in too. One of the ideas behind BLS is taking your cues around food from your baby, and I am now a real convert.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; November 8th, 2010 at 05:02 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

My boys definitely let me know that they were ready. I chose to hold off on solids with them for a little bit and I can't remember what time frame I introduced, but I want to say that it was around 7-8 months. At that time, they were really noticing the foods that I was eating and were having a fit because I wasn't sharing. We did briefly start with purees, but they didn't particularly care for them. They've been eating very small bits of cooked foods for a while now and they will go nuts if I am eating and don't share safe foods with them. I'm not a lunatic and hand them whatever they want, although that's what they probably want. But they do eat pretty much everything that I do. Darn kids ate half of my oatmeal this morning, come to think of it . . . . .
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Newer research has shown that delaying introduction of certain foods may actually promote allergies. But it's still up in the air, so I wouldn't base my decision on that alone.

I can say that as a mother who was forced to stop all solid foods for several months I don't see the appeal. I know there are maybe one or two moms here who did it by choice and many more who did it because their babies just weren't interested in solids, and as long as you are nursing plenty and baby's iron levels are good there's no harm in it. But it's a harder path to take IMO and just like I would caution someone not to voluntarily choose to pump and exclusively bottle feed I feel like I should caution you not to choose not to introduce solid foods until an arbitrary age level that you randomly determine. Which is basically what you are doing.

My opinion is that parents are generally too hung up on dates and deadlines and that watching your baby to see where s/he is at developmentally is the best way to go. Kellymom has some great info on how to tell if your baby is developmentally ready for solids. Even if you do choose not to give any solid foods until 12 months, I would not then start with juices and purees. A normal 12 month old is quite developmentally capable of eating most table foods. While I'd still start with softer foods because baby won't know how to chew or swallow solids I would think the baby led solids approach would work best if you were starting that late.
    I could not agree more with everything written above. And, FWIW, at DD2's 6 month well-baby check-up my pediatrician was telling me that "More and more the studies seem to be pointing towards early introduction being protective against allergies." I honestly think that the pendulum on timing the introduction of solids is starting to swing away from withholding them towards offering them by 6 months, even for kids with higher allergy risk.

Baby-led solids are terrific! Just give your kid some soft, cheerio-sized solids and let her experiment with smooshing them, and picking them up, and getting them into her own mouth. No spoons, no stress, no looking at the jar of Gerber, measuring what's left and wondering "Did baby eat enough? Or too much?"

Teeth aren't necessary for starting solids. Just a willingness to try something new- my second DD really let me know she was ready. She was watching us eat, grabbing our food, making little lip-smacking motions... She wants to be just like the big people!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know there is a mama on here who ebf until a year, you could do a search for her post. Like other moms said they will let you know by reaching for and taking your food. My ds didn't have teeth when he started solids. Like many moms we do baby led weaning approach.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

I had severe allergies as a child, I was almost allergic to everything LITERALLY!(dairy, soy, wheat, sugar, pork, peanuts/tree nuts) I was scared as you were but so far I have let her have everything and not one reaction!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

I'd have to go dig up some links - but yes, the current recommendation for food allergies is to NOT delay starting solids. And also that it doesn't matter whether or not mom avoids foods while pregnant or breastfeeding to try to prevent food allergies.

FWIW - the TENDENCY for allergies is inherited, not the specific allergy. So your DH nut allergy just means that your LO is likely to be allergic to SOMETHING but not necessarily nuts or other foods.

See my signature below to links for baby led solids. IME BLS is a great way to go. Your job is to offer appropriate healthy food options. And then sit back and let baby decide what and how much to eat.

My DS1 was interested in exploring food but didn't really eat until he was 8.5 or 9 mo old. DS2 was hugely interested in food and was eating 3 "meals" a day by that age.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)