Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler nursing manners..

Default Toddler nursing manners..

Toddlers(or mine at least) appear to have terrible nursing manners. I think it's mostly my fault because I let him behave this way at home, but when we go out it's embarassing for me. He will just pull my shirt down, and literally pull a boob out of my bra with one hand, pull my bra down with the other hand, and start nursing. I don't even have to help him. This is a big issue right now because I don't like him doing that when we go out..

I need help! I am trying to teach him to climb up on my lap and ask me to let him nurse. It's resulting in a lot of hitting and (fake) crying. I'm sure he'll get the hang of it eventually, but any tips would be really appreciated..

ETA: He is 20 months now. He can say quite a few words and he knows how to say "boobie." He just doesn't want to.
    Last edited by @llli*xandersmama2009; November 8th, 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Default Re: Toddler nursing manners..

How old is he? Have you talked to him about it when he isn't wanting/needing to nurse?

He's 20 months. He knows how to ask for it, just really doesn't want to. I haven't tried talking to him about it when he isn't wanting to.. I can try that, I'm not sure he'll completely understand but I'll still try..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xandersmama2009 View Post
    He's 20 months. He knows how to ask for it, just really doesn't want to. I haven't tried talking to him about it when he isn't wanting to.. I can try that, I'm not sure he'll completely understand but I'll still try..
    It might make a difference. They understand a lot more than we give them credit for. It might (probably) take a few or more times of explaining, but it's def worth a shot.

Can you wear shirts that would make that impossible for him for a while?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I recently had to get my DD to stop twiddling. She wasn't happy about it, but it was suddlenly driving me crazy. It's okay to set limits. They might not like it at first, but will realize if they want to nurse they need to do it on your terms.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I agree. Set limits and enforce them consistently. If Joe starts getting a little "frisky" I say, "No, you have to ASK for milkies." Just keep doing this, and your son will learn the new rules! I try to apply the rule consistently, at home and in public, just for simplicity's sake.

And yeah, it wouldn't hurt to wear really complicated clothing just to make it easier to enforce!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree with the "complicated" clothing. It does help. I have a 21 month old, and I've recently decided that I don't want to NIP anymore, so I've been telling him as he's having his last session before we leave the house that that's it, and no more until we come home again. And totally understands. We went to this indoor playplace for 3 hours the other day and he didn't even ask to nurse once, which has got to be a record for him.
    Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that they really do understand for the most part, so I agree to just continue explaining to him that he can't do XYZ when you're not at home, and if he does, the complicated shirt goes down and that's that until you're at home. That's what I would do.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'