Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole Milk after 2?

Default Re: Whole Milk after 2?

Nolan doesn't drink cow's milk now at all, but when he did we still did whole milk. We also still do full fat yogurts, cottage cheese, etc. We don't do reduced fat anything because they are generally full of other things to make up the difference in flavor...most of the time sugar.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    I actually brought this very topic up with DH the other day, reminding him that DD is actually drinking 2% milk at daycare, and his argument for keeping her on whole milk was she needs more fat for brain and body development? Not sure if he just made that up or not.
    Fatty acids are what our bodies make brain out of - it is one of the reasons toddlers need so much fat, and why low fat diets for small children can have terrible results unless they are medically necessary and medically supervised. There are also slightly higher amounts of most of the nutrients in whole milk.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I think the recommendation is intended to avoid childhood obesity. I haven't decided what we'll do with Joe. I like whole fat milk, but I don't just drink milk, I use it in things. DH and I are naturally slender people, so I don't know how worried I should be about childhood obesity. I was raised on whole fat milk, and it seems more "natural" to me - that's how it comes out of the cow!
    If you have a kid who tends toward the chunky, or who is not active then I would ramp down to 2% (even though it doesn't taste very good comparatively). Otherwise I would (and will) stick with 2% until about school age. Ds is very slim and we work on giving him lots of "healthy" fats.

IMO whole milk is more natural and if you are not a big milk drinker it is probably better for you even for an adult. My DH drinks milk in pint glasses, so not the best choice for him.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

We also do full-fat everything else.

The guidelines about switching to 2% at age two started over a year ago due to the prevalence of childhood obesity. Since DS is thin, with no obesity present in our family, I am keeping him on whole milk. He eats mostly fruits and veggies all day, so a little extra fat is not going to hurt him.

We do full fat everything else too. I just don't see the point of low fat cheese.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

We were drinking 1% while DD1 was on Homo. Now that she's 2 we switched the entire family to 2%. DH is thrilled. I would have preferred that we stayed on 1%, but DH was getting tired of running out to buy milk all the time. Now he buys 8L of milk at a time.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I guess lactose intolerance is super common, actually - most humans (no, most mammals) are only able to digest lactose during childhood. I guess the norm through human history was to get breastmilk as a baby/child, and then, generally, not drink milk again. (Drinking cow's milk throughout life was definitely NOT the norm.)

But certain populations of people have developed lactose tolerance over the millennia just from constant exposure to milk products. Northern Europeans are the biggest population, but there are others scattered around the world too. Still, the vast majority of the world is lactose intolerant in adulthood. (Fermented dairy products like cheese and yogurt are better tolerated by lactose-intolerant individuals.)

Interesting to think about.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    We do full fat everything else too. I just don't see the point of low fat cheese.
    Why do they even make it??? !

And the way I have always looked at it is that the recommendation to switch is kind of a one size fits all sort of thing. Like telling you not to drink when you're pregnant, even though you can a little, because some people just take it too far. So if your child is eating a well balanced diet with lots of good stuff and very little junk and sugar, whole fat milk is probably the least of their worries. I think it is the same for adults too.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Why do they even make it??? !

And the way I have always looked at it is that the recommendation to switch is kind of a one size fits all sort of thing. Like telling you not to drink when you're pregnant, even though you can a little, because some people just take it too far. So if your child is eating a well balanced diet with lots of good stuff and very little junk and sugar, whole fat milk is probably the least of their worries. I think it is the same for adults too.
    I would rather eat a small amount of real cheese or whole fat yogurt than a large amount of rubbery, fake low fat junk any day.

I know this i late, but I just wanted to point out that eating animal fat does not in any way contribute to the fat around your abdomen! what lies! The fat is where vitamin A and D is. Look up weston a price foundation. You'll be blown away by what we've been led to believe in this country. My diet consists of about 20 percent animal fat, and I have trouble gaining weight.. but as soon as I add back in more carbs.. guess what? I gain weight. So please, do your child a favor and get non-homegenized WHOLE milk. (or raw milk.. so good!)
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12