Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole Milk after 2?

Default Whole Milk after 2?

For those of you whose babies/toddlers drink whole cow's milk:

Do you all switch your babies to 2% milk or skim or something else when they hit age 2? Just curious.

DH wants to switch Lilah to 2% now. I'm not sure what the reasons are for and against?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Whole Milk after 2?

Well, I'm not sure what the dietary guidelines are based on, but I will tell you that at daycare they give the kids whole milk from age 1-2 yrs, then switch them to 2% from age 2 and up. At home, we still give both kids (3YO and 1YO) whole milk, because we are already buying 3 different kinds of milk as it is, and if we switched DD to 2%, then we would be buying 4 different kinds of milk. (I drink 1%, DH drinks skim, and both kids drink whole/Vitamin D milk.) I actually brought this very topic up with DH the other day, reminding him that DD is actually drinking 2% milk at daycare, and his argument for keeping her on whole milk was she needs more fat for brain and body development? Not sure if he just made that up or not.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I know the fat is important for kids under age 2 for brain development. I'm just not sure what the reason to change at 2 is? I think it's perhaps a heart health kind of thing?

We buy two kinds of milk - DH and I are drinking 1% and Lilah is drinking whole. Although DH does like to sneak some of the whole milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to

when ds1 was 2 we did switch to 2% but then switched back to whole milk after about 4 months because we decieded he wasn't eating a well enough balanced diet and it was the easiest way to get the fats into him. He went through a really picky stage...we only have whole milk in the house now as ds1 gets a little bit of it now that he is 1 and DH and I don't drink milk anyways. I think its gross!
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I know the fat is important for kids under age 2 for brain development. I'm just not sure what the reason to change at 2 is? I think it's perhaps a heart health kind of thing?

We buy two kinds of milk - DH and I are drinking 1% and Lilah is drinking whole. Although DH does like to sneak some of the whole milk.
    Yes, I would imagine it's a heart health kind of thing.

And my DH also sneaks some of the whole milk, he puts it in his coffee!!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

So I did some searching around online and was annoyed to find that most articles talking about cow's milk and toddlers talk about when it is right to switch your child from "formula or breastmilk" Always with formula first. Because clearly, that is the normal thing.

Well, I guess we will go with 2% for now, she will be getting "whole" milk again in a couple months when my milk comes back in after baby sister is born, I'm sure.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I think the 2% thing are the "new" guidelines. I know my sister was getting wic and they made her start getting 2% or something, they wouldn't let her get whole anymore. A drinks whole milk because that's what DH drinks and she doesn't drink that much of it, so I'm not bothering to change it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I think the recommendation is intended to avoid childhood obesity. I haven't decided what we'll do with Joe. I like whole fat milk, but I don't just drink milk, I use it in things. DH and I are naturally slender people, so I don't know how worried I should be about childhood obesity. I was raised on whole fat milk, and it seems more "natural" to me - that's how it comes out of the cow!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I would say that Lilah drinks around 16 to 20 ounces of cow's milk a day... and I'm not sure that she's eating other foods that are very high in fat. Her favorite food is spinach (not kidding!) and last night we had to bribe her with more spinach to get her to finish the salmon on her plate. She does eat a fair amount of cheese though... and that is high in fat, I think. I don't suppose it will harm her to switch to 2%, and DH will feel better about it.

I grew up drinking goat's and cow's milk straight from the animal. Didn't have anything less than "whole" milk until I was in college... but obesity does run in my family and heart disease does in DHs...
    Tracie

Mommy to

Thomas has been drinking 2% since he was about 3. He doesn't drink a lot of cow's milk by itself, but when he has it (or in oatmeal, etc) it's 2%. He generally drinks almond milk--only because he seems to like it better.