Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bacterial vaginosis med metrogel and breastfeeding

Default bacterial vaginosis med metrogel and breastfeeding

Hello, I have a major concern about breastfeeding and taking the medication metrogel for the treatment of BV(bacterial vaginosis). It is reccomended that breastfeeding be put off while using this medication. Of course i was extremely upset because i dont want to wean my 4 month old daughter for ten days and feed her formula and the fact that it will be traumatic for both of us. I do have a breast pump so i will be able to pump my milk and dump it and keep up my milk supply but i find that this will be a major pain of preparing and steralizing bottles and formula and the convienience of breastfeeding will be taken away. Not to mention that she might reject the bottle if i try to feed her(she has been fed with a bottle before when i've been away) or that she wont understand why she has to be fed from a bottle when my breasts are right there. If i knew this in advance i could have at least pumped my milk and stored it that way she wont have to be on formula. I havent started the meds(its injected vaginaly) yet and i'm going to call the dr tomorrow to see if there is an alternative. I'm really distraught about this, any suggestions are welcome and sorry this was so long!!
    Thanks!!!

Default Re: bacterial vaginosis med metrogel and breastfeeding

Actually, the pills are safe too. Maybe a mod can post from Hale's book to confirm. I can't find my copy.

I also used Metrogel vaginally for BV, and my o/b assured me it was safe to continue using while BF'ing. I haven't seen any ill effects in DS! (Also, metronidazole, the active ingredient, is actually used as an antibiotic for babies and children.)

I also researched the drug online before taking it, and the consensus seemed to be that avoiding BF'ing while you take the medication would probably be more detrimental to the baby than whatever tiny amount of drug might get into the breastmilk.

Good luck!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

Thanks so much for everyone's info I appreciate it! It is frustrating when information is contradictory. Like in the actual package with directions and breastfeeding portion it talks about how in lab rats it had some bad effect (cant remember what it was at the moment) but it made me pretty nervous plus I also did research online and a lot of the info said not to breastfeed. But I did start treatment last night so I hope everything will be ok!! thanks again!!