Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you find/make a place to pump at work? (office)

Default Re: How do you find/make a place to pump at work? (office)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momcbs View Post
    Anyway, what I was trying to get to was that I work with all men (I am an IT Support Technician and the only female out of a team of about 20 men). When I first returned to work at 6 weeks I was petrified they would know what I was doing...most of the men to this day (DD is 9 months) still do not know what I am doing! They make comments like, "you going home early?" if they catch me with my bag on my shoulder!
    I've had that experience! I pump at around 9, 12, and 3, and a few times now I've been in the elevator with one of the maintenance guys or someone who I don't know well and he'll ask if I'm heading home early. My response is, "Something like that."

My husband sees coworkers using the "Mother's Room" at his workplace and he said that before he became a dad and had a wife who breastfeeds he'd have never realized exactly what that room is for! He can peg a Medela bag at 20 paces, but he does think it's quite discreet in appearance.

I also work in a male-dominated environment. My manager and all but one of my teammates are men. My manager knows that I pump (he tried to help me find an alternative location), but I also shift my pumping times when possible so that there's no conflict with meetings. Since I work independently much of the time, I make my daily schedule to some extent so it's not like the guys on my team are wondering where I am. If I were to be asked, I'd be open about it. Several of my teammates are newlyweds and are thinking of starting families, and I figure that if they see a peer who manages to combine working and nursing it may encourage them to be supportive of their wives doing the same when the time comes.

I actually have had two of my male coworkers allude to my nursing the baby (they are fathers themselves). It's pretty subtle stuff, like seeing me drink a big iced coffee and asking if the baby reacts to caffeine in my diet. Since I've never said anything to them about how she's fed, I think it's great that they default to the assumption that I am a nursing mom!
    Katie - mom to Lily, 8/5/2010

My company has two lactation rooms, one of which is on my floor. I still have difficulty getting to it. There's another mother who uses it for an hour at a time making it very difficult for me. We have office suites and I just lock the door, which has a skinny window and I cover it with paper and put a sticky on the door saying "do not disturb". Most of my coworkers know what I'm doing so they don't bother me.

I don't know what the weather is like where you live, but could you pump in your car? I know it sounds weird, but I've had to do this a few times while at large conferences, etc... and it actually was kind of nice. I could listen to the radio, roll down the windows for fresh air, and just really feel like I was away from the office while not really going anywhere.
    Last edited by @llli*wdsmom; November 14th, 2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    I don't know what the weather is like were you live, but could you pump in your car? I know it sounds weird, but I've had to do this a few times while at large conferences, etc... and it actually was kind of nice. I could listen to the radio, roll down the windows for fresh air, and just really feel like I way away from the office while not really going anywhere.
    me too I actually like pumping in the car
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

"What a good point! (to be chill about it). I can be the one to set the tone that I am not doing some weird wacky thing, but rather I am doing what a typical mother of an infant does when she must return to work. Hopefully it will be a positive note in the heads of the young women there :-)"

Totally!!

I'm a medical resident who tried to take nursing into account when timing her first child... but since it never occurred to me I'd nurse past 1y, and now I'm at 19 months and still nursing/pumping... let's just say I've been more creative about how to pump through 70-90 hour work weeks at constantly changing locations with constantly new coworkers and supervisors than I'd hoped to have to be.

But, the lesson has overwhelmingly been that if I am pleasant, practical, and clear about my needs, and present it in a "how can I make the fact that I have to pump every _ hours best work around the needs of this team?" way, noone's batted an eye! Even the 70y old men.

So, I'd say, go for the screen, be matter-of-fact about it, don't act like you're embarrassed... and they'll be fine with it, too. And, I agree - you'll be providing a great role model for others, at the same time!