Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: morning after pill - reduces milk supply?

Question morning after pill - reduces milk supply?

HI, not sure if this is the right forum for this question. Me and my partner had an accident the other day were our controception failed. Since my 10 wk old baby was born i have been breastfeeding, and have never had any problem with a lack of supply (infact i am normally over supplied) As an emergency (even though the doctor said the chances of getting pregnant were slim) i was given the morning after pill (Levonelle) and ever since my milk supply seems to have been reduced. I was told that taking this would not have any effect on my supply or my baby. Is it normal to have supply problems when taking the morning after pill? Does it return to normal afterwards?
    Kate

Default Re: morning after pill - reduces milk supply?

Kate - I'm not familiar with what's in Levonelle but if it had any significant amount of estrogen in it then yes, it could have affected your supply. Since it isn't something that you take on a daily basis then your supply should recover rather quickly.

Can you tell us why you think you've got supply issues and what, if anything are you already doing to increase it?

As far as i can find out levonelle contains a high level of synthetic progesterone which tricks the body processes into thinking that ovulation has already occurred.

As i mentioned before i am usually over productive, my baby is becoming increasingly fussy when feeding and wanting to feed more often than normal (though i am lead to understand that she could be going though a growth spurt) i usually suffer swollen and tender breasts during the day and this is not happened for about 2 days now. I am usually quiet firm and can easily hand express milk, but this is getting harder. I have upped my liquid intake and am feeding her when ever she asks *feels the tide to the soffa syndrome*

Could be that she is fussing because the she's used to a very fast flow (with your over production) and the flow has now slowed down some? If so, you might find that breast compressions help with this. Here's a link with instructions (non-LLL resource):http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

It sounds like your production could have dipped after taking the pill. If this is the case, chances are that a few days of being glued to the couch ( ) and nursing frequently should help it rebound. If things don't improve, you might consider talking to your IBCLC, midwife, doctor, or other health care professional about adding a galactagogue (milk increaser) to your routine.

HTH!

That's the best thing you can do - just nurse, nurse, nurse. Babies typically hit a growth spurt right around the 12 week mark so yes, it could be a growth spurt. There are some women who do experience supply issues with progesterone so it could've been that as well. The good news is that since it was only 1 dose (or 2? - not very many doses is my point) it shouldn't take long for your supply to recover.

Also, you are approaching the point where your milk supply is stabilizing so that could be why you aren't experiencing the very full, swollen breasts anymore.

How is baby's wet diaper output? If she's having at least 6-8 wet diapers per 24 hour period then she's getting enough from you. Fussiness and constantly wanting to nurse are not indicators of supply issues. The only real way to know if you've got supply issues is if your baby stops gaining weight.

Nevertheless, it sounds like you are doing the right thing -- keep it up! You're doing great!

Thanks for all the help. I kept on feeding as frequent as possible and feel that my supply is almost back to normal (minus not feeling the let down as painful - which is good).

Just something I noted, Jessy has had Diarrhea ever since i took that pill. I checked with the doctors about this and they said it was a coincidence and it was just a bug. Every doctor or nurse i have spoken to have completely disregarded the idea of any connection to the pill with that attitude i wonder why they dont know for sure if there is any offects of the drug on babies/infants that breastfeed.