Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding/pumping help!!

Post breastfeeding/pumping help!!

ok so i'm EB breastfeeding my baby and so far it's been great. But now that i'm planing to go back to work i want to start to pump and store my BM but i don't know yet how to do it since i've done it once and i had more supply than necessary it made my breast engorged that it hurt so much but now that i have the right amount should i pump before brestfeeding of after when my baby is done... I need help!

Default Re: breastfeeding/pumping help!!

It's best to introduce one or at most two pumping sessions per day, usually right AFTER feeding your baby, and do it consistently every day. That way, you increase your supply, but it's predictable, and it shouldn't cause engorgement.

Mornings are a high supply time for most women, so that might be a good time to introduce that pumping.

P.S. If you have high supply, you don't need to worry quite so much about building up a big stash, because you will probably have little problem pumping enough every day for the next day. So definitely stash some BM, but don't feel pressured to have a week's back up milk or anything - a few days is usually enough.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: breastfeeding/pumping help!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    P.S. If you have high supply, you don't need to worry quite so much about building up a big stash, because you will probably have little problem pumping enough every day for the next day. So definitely stash some BM, but don't feel pressured to have a week's back up milk or anything - a few days is usually enough.
    ^This.

I started pumping in the mornings after whichever feed was around 8 or 9; this usually netted me 1-2 bags of milk. I found that after I went back to work, I was averaging those same 1-2 extra bags of milk per day of pumping, so I ended up w/ a TON of extra breast milk. You might need 10-20 feedings to start to make yourself feel better, but I wouldn't try for more than that.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos