Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ear surgery

Default Ear surgery

DD just turned a year old and still nurses 3-5 times a day and through the night. I am having ear surgery in a few weeks and will go under with general anesthesia (sp?). Doc told me to pump and not nurse for 24-48 hours. I really don't want to pump, not sure if I can. He might give me Vicodin for pain afterward. Is that safe while nursing? Or should I ask for something different?
    Amanda

Wife to Steven 29 Oct 07
    DD1: Zoey 28 Oct 2009
    (Self weaned at 2 years)

DD2: Hayley 18 Oct 2012
    (My latest nursling)

Default Re: Ear surgery

Generally, by the time you're alert enough to nurse the baby, the anesthetic has been processed sufficiently that there shouldn't be much in the breastmilk. http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html You should ask specifically what anesthesia they will give you, and contact a lactation consultant about it.

I recently had surgery, and pumped after it in place of one feeding, then just nursed as usual.

I was given Lortab in the hospital after giving birth, which is basically Vicodin. It's in the "moderately safe for breastfeeding" category. It may have sedated my LO a bit (he was a newborn). Could you look into maybe Darvocet, which is a safer pain med? And ask a lactation consultant about your options?

Would you be willing to try to manage your pain with something over the counter like Tylenol before trying the stronger pain meds, to see if you even need it? I had surgery on my hand, and really only needed pain meds that first day.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Default Re: Ear surgery

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manatee View Post
    Generally, by the time you're alert enough to nurse the baby, the anesthetic has been processed sufficiently that there shouldn't be much in the breastmilk. http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html You should ask specifically what anesthesia they will give you, and contact a lactation consultant about it.
    That's the basic rule of thumb -- if you can hold the baby safely, enough of the drug has cleared that it's safe to nurse. You can also call the InfantRisk Center to ask about specific medications. I don't know if they can recommend alternative drugs or not.

I can send you some information about Vicodin from Medications and Mothers' Milk if you like.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--