Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeling empty?

Default feeling empty?

My DS is 8 weeks old. When I BF, I can feel my let-down and hear him swallowing for a few minutes before he slows down. When he "finishes" that breast, he is usually still hungry so I offer him the other breast. He latches on but doesn't seem to get anything. I rarely hear any swallowing at all. After a minute, he gets fussy and acts like he isn't getting anything. Is there anything I can do to help this?

Default Re: feeling empty?

Hmmm... A couple questions--Does this happen on the second breast regardless of which breast you start with, or is it one breast that seems fine and the other that seems not to let down? Do you leak out of the other breast while he is nursing?

It happens regardless of which breast I start with. I have a let down in both breasts and leak on the side he isn't nursing on. Today was a little better, he ate for a few minutes on the second breast and I could hear swallowing!

You can try putting some gentle pressure on the other breast while nursing on the first one (if you use your hand to support your breast you can just gently hold your forearm up against the other). This will keep the other breast from leaking so much while you are feeding from the first. It could be that a whole lot of milk is leaking out and therefore the flow is a lot slower when he gets to the other breast. HTH!