Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help!

Default Please help!

I am looking for some advice about my breastfeeding situation.

Quick background:

- My daughter was breastfed for the first two weeks, but I quit due to her weight loss and inverted nipples that were cracked and bleeding.

- I still wanted to provide breastmilk for her so I started pumping 8x/day and feeding her bottles.

- Within the past few weeks, I've really wanted to try to latch her back on. Therefore, I have tried a variety of techniques to get her to latch. I have watched numerous videos and still have painful nipples. When I remove her my nipple is compresed in the corner and white, which I know is because of bad latch.

Yesterday I returned to the LC for the 4th time, and she thinks that my daughter has a high palate and her tongue may be too big for her mouth. In addition, she has a strong sucking reflux. I've been feeding her since yesterday and already my nipples are sore and it's so painful.

I want to feed her so badly, but I don't know where to go from here. She has been so much happier and content the past two days. When my husband or I would feed her with the bottle she was fussy and cranky the majority of the time.

Can anyone offer any advice for me? I don't want to give up. I've been trying for the past 8 weeks to do what's best, but I'm beginning to think it's never going to work.

Default Re: Please help!

have you ever tried a nipple shield, I personally have never used one but have heard the can help with correcting this types of things.... Maybe ask your LC about it.
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

First, I would like to applaud you for your efforts thus far. Your baby is very lucky to have such a dedicated mama, who wants to provide the very best. Many people would have thrown in the towel by now. This shows immense dedication on your part, and dedication is a key to really making breastfeeding work when roadblocks appear. I applaud you for your efforts and think you've done an amazing job!!!!

Is your LC an IBCLC? I wish I had answers for you. Have you considered calling a local LLL leader? Hands on help makes a world of difference.

I pump at work (I work full time) and it stinks. I imagine that getting the baby back to the breast with a good latch would be so helpful to you. I would encourage you to reach out to your local LLL leader for help. You don't have to be a member, and it's free. I had a terrible time getting a good latch for upwards of 7 weeks. My LLL leader helped me so much.

I don't know much about nipple shields, but here's some info

Here's another worksheet on latching.

I'm hoping another mama will come along soon with more input.

And

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Feeding w/ flat or inverted nips can be a real challenge! Sometimes the key is to wait for the baby's mouth to grow and change shape- a big mouth can latch on deeply even when the nips are flat/inverted. It sounds like you have done something awesome: you've managed to get your baby back on the breast. If you decide to go back to pumping, I'd encourage you to feed her at the breast at least part-time- even just a few sessions per day will help you keep your options open for the day when your daughter's mouth has grown enough to stop hurting you.

Kudos to you, Mama! You're doing a great job!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i had flat nips with ds1 but using the nipple sandwich and continued nursing eventually drew them out. i still have somewhat flat nips but ds2 and ds3 nurse like champs. ds1 was difficult until i found the right lc to help and my wonderful mom and grandma. experience really makes a difference!
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton