Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going away!! :(

Default Going away!! :(

Hi,

I'm traveling next month for almost 3 days without my baby for the first time. My 7 month old baby still breastfeeding and I'm sooooo worry about the 3 days I'll be gone. I don't know what to do?? My mom is going to take care of her but what about the milk???? A this time I don't use any machine to pump out milk because I don't work so I don't have the necesity to do it. My worry is how I'm going to pump out milk if right now the milk that I produce is what she demands. Help!!!!!! And how I can prepare the baby for being without my breast????

Default Re: Going away!! :(

Is it possible to take your baby with you? Is someone going with you who can watch the baby while you do whatever it is you need to do?

It might be a good idea to look into renting a hospital grade pump if you do need to be away. That would help keep up your supply while you are not nursing. You would need to pump as often as your baby would normally nurse.

If you need to build up a supply for your trip, there are a few things you can do. Some mothers find that it works well to pump while nursing on the other side. Or you could try pumping first thing in the morning when many moms find that their supply is greatest. It also helps to pump right after getting out of the shower because the warm water helps the milk let down. Breast milk is produced on a supply and demand basis, so you don't have to worry about pumping taking away from the milk she needs. Your body will make more milk even if you nurse right after pumping.
    Theresa
    LLL Leader

No I can't take her with me. But thanks for the advise I will start to pump milk in the mornings so I have enough for her when I'm gone. I was also thinking on my friend breastmilk she has a big supply. It is ok?
    Do I need do pump milk while I'm away? I want to continue breastfeeding when I come back.

You will need to pump while you are away. Do you really have to go? I will have to be away from my 2 year old when her baby sister is born overnight and that scares me, I would never be able to leave an 8 month old.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes I know but I can't do anything about it. Is my 10 year anniversary and my best friend wedding. Is out of US and I don't have no one to take care of her there. We have the airplane tickets already. She will be safe at home with her grandma. I'm very sad but at the same time my husband and I deserve that trip. I'm trying to be positive thinking that basically will be only Friday and Saturday!! My big concern is the milk!!