Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting up at 5 weeks- ? too much milk

Default Spitting up at 5 weeks- ? too much milk

Hi all, Im new to the forums! I have a question on spitting up...

My baby is 5 weeks today. At 3 weeks, he had a "growth spurt" during which he wanted to nurse all day for 3 or 4 days. If he wasnt nursing, he was crying or fussing and wanting to be nursed! Since then, he has been spitting up with every feed sometimes alot (2 tablespoons) and sometimes just a mouth full. Sometimes it is right after nursing when I am burping him and sometimes it is while he is napping quite a bit of time after nursing. He nurses every 3-4 hours overnight and every 2-3 hours, sometimes more during the day. He is having plenty of very wet diapers and he poops frequently (orangey yellow poop with seeds). He is also very gassy with lots of burps and farts. He also grunts and groans alot, so I am wondering if his belly hurts? He is gaining weight, born at 7 pounds 2 ounces and at 4 weeks was 9 pounds 11 ounces. He was also 2 weeks early. He has never had a pacifier or bottle yet, just breastfed.

So I am wondering if I have too much milk and he is getting too much... or he is having sensitivity to something I am eating? He did not spit up prior to this growth spurt at 3 weeks.

What do you think?

Default Re: Spitting up at 5 weeks- ? too much milk

Welcome! Spitting up is a very normal part of babyhood, and is usually due to the still-weak muscle tone of the sphincters that keep stomach contents down where they belong. As long as it occurs w/o pain (baby cries or postures during spitting), weight gain is good, and poops are nice and yellowy, it's generally a laundry issue, not a health issue. Allergy/intolerance to something in your diet is a possibility you'd want to explore if:
    - your baby was in pain
    - your baby was showing other signs of allergy/intolerance (rash, green poops, blood in his poops)

Here's a link on oversupply/fast letdown that may help you determine if that's a problem for you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your response, mommal!
    There is no signs of pain with the spit-ups. I think I have an oversupply!

What about making your baby burp in the middle of a feeding? My baby daughter started spitting up at around the same time as yours and I noticed that making her burp in the middle of a feeding and at the end of a feeding considerably reduced the spitting instances...

Just an idea...